Can someone check my Diagram?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There really is no "in" or "out" with the switches and AC load side of the SSR. It doesn't matter how you connect the wires.

The one pair of connections that DO matter is the DC control signal from the PID to the SSR. That one needs to be hooked up properly with the "+" and "-" terminals.

Yea I saw the DC indications. The no in or out is blowing my mind a little bit but I think I got ya. I'm excited to test this thing out with a light bulb, hopefully I can power through it later.

a switch (or an SSR, which is really just a switch) simply connects two pieces of metal together. No concept of IN or OUT. Just "CONNECT THESE TOGETHER".

Now, if you had selector switches or other fancy things, then you would have to put thought into which wire connected to which pin, but for a simple ON/OFF switch.... doesn't matter.

Gotcha. Now for the SSR, I couldn't find spade terminal ends small enough to fit on the SSR and fit my wire. Can I just wrap the wire around the nuts? And is it ok to use 14g wire for the DC lines?

Is your wire stranded copper or solid copper?

The wire is fine to use for the DC. It's a hell of a lot bigger than necessary, but you and use it.

I used some old thin speaker wire for my DC stuff.

It's Alive. Thanks so much for your help guys. I'll chronicle the whole build in another thread.
5554718206_f5fd651408_z.jpg

Thanks! So, I'd like to autotune the thing tonight. But I have not potted the element nor have I had a grouding screw welded to the rims tube yet. Am I asking for trouble if I run it with the terminals exposed and the ground wire taped to the rims tube?

Thanks! So, I'd like to autotune the thing tonight. But I have not potted the element nor have I had a grouding screw welded to the rims tube yet. Am I asking for trouble if I run it with the terminals exposed and the ground wire taped to the rims tube?

I always try to err on the side of caution with these kinds of things, so I cannot recommend you doing this.

If you decide to do it anyway, I would suggest not ever ever ever touching the RIMS tube.

Just wanted to follow up, this has been working great, although I still haven't found a permanent grounding solution for the RIMS tube. I ended up sealing the connection for hot and neutral to the element with liquid electrical tape and so far that has been great.

Back