Yet another group of hombrewers trying to go pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Indy. Let me know if you if you guys need a hand with anything. I'll work for beer ;) I've just gotten hooked on home brewing and would love to give you guys some help. I'm an automation engineer if you need a hand with bottling/can equip.

and where are you setting up shop?

Thanks for all the well wishes. Once we start construction, I am sure we will take all the help we can get from people around Indy and the interwebs at large. We've always envisioned this undertaking as a community project and we would love everyone to be involved. We'll provide the beer::mug:

Black Acre is a very clever name for your brewery too.

Yes it really is. Unfortunately us lawyers are all creative in the same way.... I was going to name my homebrew operations Blackacre Brewery, now I might have to worry about trademark. Can you trademark Blackacre though, since I thought that when O died it went to A for life and then to B and his heirs. Are you one of B's heirs?

Yes it really is. Unfortunately us lawyers are all creative in the same way.... I was going to name my homebrew operations Blackacre Brewery, now I might have to worry about trademark. Can you trademark Blackacre though, since I thought that when O died it went to A for life and then to B and his heirs. Are you one of B's heirs?

No it was: O to A, but if Blackacre is not used as a brewery then to B. Blackacre brings back old memories from Property law.... On a side note, if I ever get a chance to open a brewery/brewpub I am naming it after the road my law school was on, because everyday I turned on it I wanted a beer.

We hadn't updated this for a while so thought I would post some updates. Our 3 BBL nanobrewery and taproom will be opening in the fall and we take possession of our location in July. We are focusing primarily on in house pint and growler sales with limited distribution.

After looking at a lot of potential locations we finally settled on a 2200 square foot location in a high traffic retail area in a historic neighborhood, with the blessing of low Indiana rent. This space gives us plenty of room for expansion to a 7 to 10 BBL system if needed and can hold enough people in the tap room to allow the endeavor to be profitable. If everything goes according to plan we should be able to release are location sometime this week.

This is our system as of today:

3 BBL Electric Brewing system (provided by Stout Tanks)
10 3 BBL Plastic Conicals (in a temp controlled fermentation room)
11 4 BBL Serving Tanks (located in a 18x8 cold room)
Small run bottling for special release beers with blichman beer guns.

We will continue to update information as it comes in on our facebook page and website.

Great to hear Justin!
Give us that location, given, there are only so many historic neighborhoods around here!

as a fellow justinM, i wish you the best of luck. ill watch your progress as this is something id love to dive into one day as well!

Great to hear Justin!
Give us that location, given, there are only so many historic neighborhoods around here!

Although our location is nailed down, we just have to wait for a few more formalities to be cleared up before we can announce our location. On our website front page there is currently an Ominous Countdown. Who knows, maybe when that finishes, some new info will come to light. Or, maybe we just like countdowns...

Although our location is nailed down, we just have to wait for a few more formalities to be cleared up before we can announce our location. On our website front page there is currently an Ominous Countdown. Who knows, maybe when that finishes, some new info will come to light. Or, maybe we just like countdowns...

Cool. I too live and work in Indy area. I would love to check out the brewery as you get started. I would also be willing to help out for the knowledge and exposure (and perhaps a brew).

Best of Luck, and I can't wait to try your brews!

-Ryan

I am in Indy in the Irvington area. I would love to help out if anything is needed. The more craft brews around here the better.

I'm so jealous. I would rather be doing almost anything than practicing law, but alas..... Good luck to y'all.

How much funding came through investin? Did you feel like that was helpful?

Everything looks awesome here! Congrats on making this a reality!

I was looking through your swag and something struck me as curious....you have no pint glass swag, just the stein. Is this due to the supplier not having regular glasses or is just profit margin too low to justify?

Cool. I too live and work in Indy area. I would love to check out the brewery as you get started. I would also be willing to help out for the knowledge and exposure (and perhaps a brew).
Once we get a little closer to open we will definitely be drafting volunteers that we will bribe with beer, special access, etc.

I was looking through your swag and something struck me as curious....you have no pint glass swag, just the stein. Is this due to the supplier not having regular glasses or is just profit margin too low to justify?
The stuff on the site right now is just through cafe press. We a getting branded willie becher glasses for our main glass at the tap room but haven't yet purchased them (large minimum order). Once we make our large glasses order, we will throw extras of everything on the site for sale. They will be much cheaper as well, in the 2-4 dollar range. Same goes for clothing, but right now we just can't justify sitting around with boxes of shirts in our laundry room, so one at a time printing is convenient (but pricey). Everything on the site currently, we take no profit from. It is just for word of mouth purposes.

I am in Indy in the Irvington area. I would love to help out if anything is needed. The more craft brews around here the better.

We love Irvington. I live in Holy Cross right now, just west of there.

We ended up not meeting our goal through invest.in by no fault of the website. A lot of people we talked to were more interested in putting a little more money into the endeavor for an equity share then just getting little rewards. The crowd surfing model is tough if you are not constantly having public tasting to get people involved or are super into social media. No one really wants to throw down money for a beer they have never tried. Unlike creative projects such as a film or cd, you are also severely limited by geography. People in Baltimore could care less about a nano opening in Indianapolis. If you are already a local "celebrity" or have a large following for some reason or another then crowd surfing can work, but for us it was just easier to use tradition equity investment.

We ended up raising our money through a medium size group of like-minded investors who we were able to give personalized attention. The process completed much quicker than we excepted and ended up closing our investment phase in a little over one month even though we had expected it to take around six.

I'm so jealous. I would rather be doing almost anything than practicing law, but alas..... Good luck to y'all.

Peter Zien was a lawyer and quit to buy Alesmith. He showed me his law degree when he told me that 34 was not too old to start in on brewing. :)

I am guessing Fountain Square...

Looks to be Irvington!

FS would be a rough spot. Fountain Square Brewery, Flat 12 and Sun King not too far away......

And the best thing is that my girlfriend lives 60 seconds from the main strip.....

Irvington!

I am going to come to you.
I live on the north circle in the IRV, holler if you need help with anything.

P.S. Where in Irvington?

Pro indeed. Black Acre, you made Page one on Reddit this morning.

2gxqp37.gif

And by association popurls.com

104hjb4.gif

The under 21 option didn't exist when I went to the site. Instead it simply said that it's assumed you are 21 if you are viewing this site. Of course, it looks like you're server is having a little trouble keeping up with all the traffic. :rockin:

As a lawyer (who would also rather be a brewer) I can't decide if Black Acre is the best or worst name ever...

Back