Growler Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Jack Russell Brewery growler that is a few years old. Only used once and the gasket looks and feels ok. Am I ok to bottle it?

Sure, go ahead, worst case is you lose a bit of beer.

If you're curious that it might leak, put a balloon over the top. if a balloon doesn't fit, try a condom. They make unlubricated ones... :)

I'm not sure if I understand your question. I've always heard that you aren't supposed to bottle a naturally conditioned beer in a growler because they can't withstand the pressure that a normal beer bottle can. In fact, I've had a growler burst once, so I wouldn't recommend it. If you are bottling from a keg or using a flexible cap, (such as a balloon, or whatever), that might be different.

I'm not sure if I understand your question. I've always heard that you aren't supposed to bottle a naturally conditioned beer in a growler because they can't withstand the pressure that a normal beer bottle can. In fact, I've had a growler burst once, so I wouldn't recommend it. If you are bottling from a keg or using a flexible cap, (such as a balloon, or whatever), that might be different.

+1 don't bottle in a growler - not made for that.

Unless it is a flip top (which it sounds like yours isn't) half growler.

Does this apply to all larger bottles, or just the growler-style ones with handles? I've been keeping some large (almost wine bottle sized) metal-cap-style bottles from some trippels I had lying around.

are flip tops good for bottle conditioning

Fliptops are great for bottling. I've done many this way.

s7_519626_imageset_01

Does this apply to all larger bottles, or just the growler-style ones with handles? I've been keeping some large (almost wine bottle sized) metal-cap-style bottles from some trippels I had lying around.

They should be fine. Growlers typically have thin walls, and the shape isn't particularly strong. I use some bottles that sound like what you're describing, and they work fine. Dogfish Head sells several of their beers in that style bottle. I've found that even though they take a 26mm cap, I need to reverse the grabbers on my twin lever capper to the 29mm size to accomodate the odd neck shape.

you are getting ripped of on those caps BIG TIME. They are plastic too, not even metal. If you would like a better price send me a private message I have boat loads, of caps that are much better.

The plastic caps are better for brewing. they hold a better seal and are better able to tolerate the gas pressure. metal caps lead to exploding growlers if you growler-carb and flat beer if you use them to cap tap beer from a brewery.

I will absolutely disagree, I have used both and the plastic ones have never held a seal for me. Both the plastic with the poly seal and the plastic with the rubberized seal. Metal caps lead to exploding because it DOES hold a seal. Plastic ones leak that is why they don't explode. Just because people can't calculate how much priming sugar to put into the bottling bucket, and over carb is their own fault. You don't use plastic caps on bottles why would you use plastic caps on growlers?

Back