40 oz bottles for homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Howdy, I brewed a beer for my buddy for his 40th birthday, and thought it would be cool to put some in 40 oz bottles. It looks like all the 40's are the screw cap type-not pry cap. Does anyone know of a source of 40 oz pry top bottles?

Thanks, Tim

I think you're only allowed to put malt liquor in them ;-).
Good idea, though. I couldn't find any on line for you, but I'm sure they are there.

You could also try to cap some twist-offs isf you have a good capper.

Not to deter you in your search, but why not stick with the screw caps? Seems it'd make for a more authentic 40 experience.

Not to deter you in your search, but why not stick with the screw caps? Seems it'd make for a more authentic 40 experience.

Hmmm, I guess I might be able to find some screw tops that would seal tightly... I will let you guys know what I come up with. I might have to drink a few 40's to get the bottles....have not done that for about 20 years!

Invite a few friends over and play "40oz Hands" Its where you ductape a 40oz bottle, full, to each hand and they do NOT come off till both are gone!

Then you will have some 40 oz bottles!

Hmmm, I guess I might be able to find some screw tops that would seal tightly... I will let you guys know what I come up with. I might have to drink a few 40's to get the bottles....have not done that for about 20 years!

I hear good results capping twisttop bottles with a bench capper. Just buy a couple drinkable 40's that have twisttops

Invite a few friends over and play "40oz Hands" Its where you ductape a 40oz bottle, full, to each hand and they do NOT come off till both are gone!

Then you will have some 40 oz bottles!

Oh man, that sounds hilarious....might have to try that.

Bench capping the twist off caps- sounds like a plan.

thanks!

You know, if you're worried about the twist-offs not holding the carbonation, you could put the caps on and then wax them.

The 40 oz twist-offs are not the same as the 12 oz twist-offs. Granted, it's been a while since I had one, but I think 40's have metal screw caps similar to, say, San Pellegrino. As such, I'm not convinced even with a good bench capper that you're going to get a good seal.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/1-quart-bottles-20690/#post199448

I was heading through my local super mercado Phoenix Ranch market and spotted some 1 quart bottles (32 oz) of various Mexican brands such as Pacifico, Dos XX, etc. These were not twist off.

3712-020207_21001.jpg

For those of you always asking about growlers instead of bottles, you might want to look into this.

For those of you not familiar with hispanic supermarkets, you should go. We have the above mentioned Phoenix Ranch, Food City, etc. They are like going to a carnival. I'm sure most major metro areas have 'em.

Just saying.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/1-quart-bottles-20690/#post199448

I was heading through my local super mercado Phoenix Ranch market and spotted some 1 quart bottles (32 oz) of various Mexican brands such as Pacifico, Dos XX, etc. These were not twist off.

3712-020207_21001.jpg

For those of you always asking about growlers instead of bottles, you might want to look into this.

For those of you not familiar with hispanic supermarkets, you should go. We have the above mentioned Phoenix Ranch, Food City, etc. They are like going to a carnival. I'm sure most major metro areas have 'em.

Just saying.

I have had good results with these 32oz Tecate bottles. They seem to condition a little faster and are a great size for session beers. Also, Tecate is definitely better than malt liquor.

The twist offs are diffrent than the 12oz twist offs. I bet you could reuse the factory cap though. It should hold fine.

+1 for playing Edward Forty Hands. Always a good time. Start with an empty bladder.

I have had good results with these 32oz Tecate bottles. They seem to condition a little faster and are a great size for session beers. Also, Tecate is definitely better than malt liquor.

Plus Tecate is pretty drinkable compared to the rest.

Thanks to all. I have 32 oz bottles (old blitz-weinhard bottles) that are awesome. And, yes Tecate is better than most. Edward 40 hands is happening this Sunday during my Hop Harvest brew party ;) I can't wait to see 7 30-40 year old family men with 40s duct taped to their hands. I will have to supply ibuprofen and gatorade to my helpers.

I got a 40 of Miller High Life (as much as I usually dislike American lager...I kinda liked the change from huge hoppy ales), and tried the twist cap...it seems to hold fine. I am also going to try to cap one and see if it seals with my wing capper.

Thanks to all. I have 32 oz bottles (old blitz-weinhard bottles) that are awesome. And, yes Tecate is better than most. Edward 40 hands is happening this Sunday during my Hop Harvest brew party ;) I can't wait to see 7 30-40 year old family men with 40s duct taped to their hands. I will have to supply ibuprofen and gatorade to my helpers.

I got a 40 of Miller High Life (as much as I usually dislike American lager...I kinda liked the change from huge hoppy ales), and tried the twist cap...it seems to hold fine. I am also going to try to cap one and see if it seals with my wing capper.

You should take some before and after pictures.

Two points to add to this thread.

1.) When I first started HBing my wife found a bunch of 32oz bottles in the classifieds and I always bottle at least one or two of these with every batch. She got them from a couple that stopped HBing because they were becoming alcoholics. Started canning and jarring fruits and vegetables instead.

I guess if all you drink are quart bottles, you might start to have a problem! :D

Which brings me to...
2.)I have a buddy that brews every now and then and all he uses are the 32oz twist-tops. As soon as he finishes one, he rinses it out, let's it dry and screws the cap back on. Puts it on the closet and it's ready for the next batch!
:cross:

It's funny - everyone puts down Mexican beer but Mexico was one of the hot spots for German Brewers to immigrate. I work all over Mexico on certain telecom projects and they have some GREAT regional beers.

mordantly,

'Carta' Blanca means 'mail' or 'a letter'.
'White letter' would be a translation.

Thank you...

{Good ain't it?}

J. Winters von Knife

I'm looking to bottle in some larger bottles. I'm going to go do some research tonight on bottle tops. I'll let you know how it goes!

It's funny - everyone puts down Mexican beer but Mexico was one of the hot spots for German Brewers to immigrate. I work all over Mexico on certain telecom projects and they have some GREAT regional beers.

Yep, Mexican beers put BMC to shame. Loads of Bohemians down there.

Dos cervezas, por favor!

JacktheKnife said:
mordantly,

'Carta' Blanca means 'mail' or 'a letter'.
'White letter' would be a translation.

"White mail" might just be a homophone for the core demographic...

Back