Fruit Beer Succulent Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in on this one because it is one of the beers that constantly goes, and it seems I am brewing a new batch of this every 2 weeks.

First, If you want this beer to completely clear, you will have to go to extremes (and if you puree the fruit it will never clear ^^). Whirflock in the boil, gelatin in the secondary and cold crash at 35-40. Honestly, its a lot of work to get this beer to clear. I went through the steps to clear it once, but most people don't even care about the clarity, just the taste (im the only beer snob out of my friends ^^).

Anyway, onto my process. I never rack onto the strawberries. In order to get the most out of my yeast and let the yeast clear as much of the beer up, I place 4 lbs of frozen strawberries directly into my primary. The longer you leave the strawberries in the bucket, the more flavor will be imparted into the beer. However, I rarely let them sit for more than 2 weeks. At 4 weeks, a thin film usually develops on the top of the beer. Doesn't affect taste, but isn't very nice to look at.

My process is 1 week for primary fermentation. 2 weeks of strawberries in the primary. Then ill rack to a secondary with some gelatin just to clear it a little. Leave it for one week usually due to time constraints and then ill bottle. 4 weeks usually for the conditioning on this one. 2 weeks it is certainly drinkable, but 4 weeks seems to be the best spot to start drinking (and boy do they go fast).

I have yet to get mine exactly like Pete's, but I believe they use flavoring agents, not fresh fruit, and they also Lager it, so they won't be identical no matter how much you try. Besides, im not a real fan of flavoring or lagering. I think that about covers it ^^

Great advice everyone. I'm thinking about brewing this soon. Now that you all have gone through it, any other tips you'd suggest?

I'm planning on incorporating all of your recipe and racking tweaks into my plan.

Great advice everyone. I'm thinking about brewing this soon. Now that you all have gone through it, any other tips you'd suggest?

I'm planning on incorporating all of your recipe and racking tweaks into my plan.

Just make sure that what ever strawberries you use they have no additives. I have done this recipe twice. The first I used frozen strawberries from the store and it tasted like soep from the **** they put on the fruit to preserve it. The second I bought fresh and froze the fruit and it turned out great.

This looks like a good choice for the Summer! I have a Belgian White I'm brewing on Tuesday, so I may make this next on the list. Any feelings on converting it to an AG recipe? For the grains I'm thinking:

8.5lb Pilsner 2Row
1-1.5lb German Wheat Malt
.5lb Cara-pils

Mark K.

This looks like an excellent brew. I am going to have to give this a shot as my second brew.

I am excited I did this last night :) Took me until around 4 am since i started at 11 at night but it was worth it... I'll post an update later when i am not at work :)

I'm kind of worried about this one. I added my strawberries directly to the primary after five days and then racked to secondary five days later. It smelt amazing when I added the strawberries. When I racked to secondary it had kind of a nasty smell to it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'd like to try this recipe again without the strawberries.

I did some tweaking and I think this will be a great summer beer. I also think it needs to sit that long to truly be good. I've cracked one per week for a month now and each one is a little smoother, but still pretty tart.

So I'd recommend less than 4 lbs of strawbery, and patience. This seems to be the kind of beer you need to cellar for a few months.

I am thinking about taking a shot at this one.

I made a cherry stout recently, and I added cherries to the wort at flameout and left them in the primary for a week and then racked to secondary. I haven't seen anyone mentioning this method for this brew...how come? The stout came out great with a very strong cherry presence. What are the drawbacks of adding the fruit at the end of the boil?

None, if you want a "a very strong presence". I was going for a subtle aroma. I'd say less is more, but that's just me.

Converted this too an AG recipe and am brewing it today. My tweaked extract version was one of the best beers I've brewed. Can't wait to taste this version.

So I went out and bought a 4 lb bag of frozen blueberries from Costco ($8). I thawed them for a few hours then pureed them and put them through a sift to get the skins off.

I feel like I should have just added the blueberries right to the carboy during secondary fermentation. I go into secondary later this week. Any suggestions, should I use frozen berries or the puree that I made? How many lbs for 5 gallons?

Alright, I bottled a few weeks ago. I popped open one today. I used three pounds of frozen strawberries. I used whirlfloc and gelatin and it cleared nicely. It has a very nice head with a strong strawberry aroma. It is a very clean beer with a decent alcohol content. However, the strawberry aftertaste kills me. I suppose I am just not a fan of strawberry beers. I had never actually tried a commercial strawberry beer before brewing this, it just sounded good at the time. I think I may try to brew this again without the strawberries. Minus the strawberries, this would be a very drinkable session beer with a decent alcohol content to boot. My BMC drinking friends could enjoy the strawberry-free version as a clean tasting, decent abv session beer.

OK brewing this one right now. One quick question, my frozen strawberries are whole, should i cut them up? I plan on putting them in my primary about a week from today. and anybody ever put the strawberries in a muslim bag? Would that keep some of the crap out when I move the beer to my secondary for clearing?:rockin:

OK brewing this one right now. One quick question, my frozen strawberries are whole, should i cut them up? I plan on putting them in my primary about a week from today. and anybody ever put the strawberries in a muslim bag? Would that keep some of the crap out when I move the beer to my secondary for clearing?:rockin:

Probably a lilttle late since you were brewing this last night, but I would not add the berries to primary. You need to leave this on ein primary for two weeks, then rack into secondary on top of the berries. After a week in secondary, rack off of the berries into terrtiary for another week or two. Then bottle it. This is a good 5-6 week recipe in my opinion.

Ya I was planning on putting the strawberries into the primary in about a week from now. I was maybe thinking about cutting up the whole berries, just a rough chop, then drop them gently into my primary bucket inside a sanitized muslim bag. Anyone know any negatives about doing it this way?:confused:

I can't tell you ny negatives, only what I have done. I added 8 lbs of frozen berries to secondary and racked on top of them. The beer was the 2nd best I've ever made. Can't keep in supply. I didn't cut them or anything, just whole frozen berries into secondary.

thanks for the help, i didn't want to unnecessarily touck the whole berries. As far as racking onto them, i still might. Reading this whole thread, it seams that some do, and some just put them in, so i'm still undecided.:drunk: However, when i was brewing this, it smelled great, i mean really, really good. I might try this, minus the berries next.:ban:

Just racked mine onto 8 lbs of strawberries. My AG version of this is going to be awesome. The base beer tasted so good I might just make a batch of it and not rack onto to strawberries!

Just finished racking onto 8 pounds of whole frozen strawberries, and holy crap thats alot of strawberries. Took a hydro reading and it was at 1.018 started at 1.062 eight days ago. I thought it would be a little lower than that but o'well.:mug:

Just poured the first pints of a variation of this last night and while it was still a little green, it was amazing. Much to my horror and dismay, today i came home from work tofind 4.5 gallons of strawberry blonde emptied in the bottom of my keezer, and my co2 tank depleted. Apparently i didnt have one of the fittings tightenned all the way and when it chilled down it opened the flood gates. SWMBO actually started crying she was so upset the beer was gone. Needless to say im starting another batch tonight...

im brewing this tonight as a spur of the moment thing. i realized that i had all the ingredients after organizing my brew equipment. also, i just brewed a pale ale that used the same yeast so i'll be simply racking onto the previous yeastcake. stoked for it.

Im scaling down the strawberries to 5 lbs. 7 days primary, rack onto strawberries in secondary for 7 days, rack off strawberries into tertiary for 7 days. I'll be going at great length to make this beer clear by using irish moss, whirlfoc, gelatin, and cold crashing.

I was debating how i wanted to go about using the strawberries going back and forth between using some in the boil and putting some in the primary, or splitting it up one way or another until i decided to just keep it simple. I figure the easiest way would be to simply allow the strawberries to do their work for a week in a "finished" beer which would impart not-too strong a flavor.

Anyone try any other way? I saw someone tried some in the primary but i would imagine that doing that could impart infection if the yeast hasnt taken hold and theres a nasty on the strawberries (that and i want to allow the beer to finish before doing stuff to it).

Can you post your all-grain recipe?

Thanks!

Absolutely. And for the record it was outstanding when I racked it off of the strawberries this weekend. It is going to to be so good. I actually got better numbers than these but this is how I designed the recipe. Here you go, enjoy!

Batch Size: 6.500 gal into fermenter
Boil Size: 8.300 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 77%
SG: 1.040
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.5%
Bitterness: 25.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 3.2 SRM (Morey)

1 lb - Cara-Pils
7 lbs - Pilsner
1.25 lb - German Wheat Malt
1 lb - Flaked Corn

Cascade - 1 0z @ 60 min
Saaz - .5 oz @ 20 min
Saaz - .5 oz @ 15 min

Safale S-05

Mash 5 gal @ 156F for 90 min
Double sparge of 2.5 gal each

Two weeks in primary @ 65F-70F. After primary, rack onto 8 lbs of whole frozen strawberries for 1 week. After 1 week, rack to terrtiary for one week and bottle.

The strawberries will soak up a about 1 gal of beer, so make sure you collect extra into the fermenter.

i wonder if the strawberries can be consumed after being used...

also, you think it would be alright to throw a strawberry into each bottle when you go to bottle?

After you see the strawberries, you will NOT want to consume them. They're pretty rotten looking. I would be worried about adding one to the bottle. I may be wrong, but I think eventually the strawberry would go bad and start to contaminate the beer.

i decided i'm going to brew this recipe next weekend, one question did any sanitize the strawberries before transferring? if so, what was the method used?

done and done. OG was a little high (1.066) but then again, I used 2 lbs of wheat lme and did a late boil on the extra pale lme to give a lighter color to the beer.

put this on top of a 1272 yeast cake last night and MAN did it take off. This morning it is at a "rolling boil" of fermentation.

WildGingerBrewing said:
No need to sanitize if you are using frozen. The freezing of the strawberries kills the bacteria. Just dump them in and rack onto them.

Thanks! Looking forward to the brew!!!

Absolutely. And for the record it was outstanding when I racked it off of the strawberries this weekend. It is going to to be so good. I actually got better numbers than these but this is how I designed the recipe. Here you go, enjoy!

I have a several white labs yeasts that I have washed and reuse. Any recommendations? I have California Ale, English Ale, Koelsh. Any of those work?

Thanks!

I am new to brewing still and don't have a full understanding of conversions. Would somebody be able to convert this to a partial mash for me or should I just go with an LME or DME? I think doing a partial mash would add a little "something" to the finished product.

well, converting is easy:

1lb of grain = .75lb LME or .6lb DME

Im fairly certain this conversion ratio is correct (as i asked about it a couple weeks ago and just got this answer :D)

Back