Australian Sparkling Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
This was inspired by Jamil's show on the style, and the thing that piqued my interest was the ferment temps. Apparently this style can be done at a scorching 73 degrees, while still finishing quite dry and refreshing. Obviously the major flavor character is the fruityness from the warm fermented yeast, but not the funk that you might find in a warm fermented belgian.

I don't have temp control in my apartment so an ale that can be refreshing and fermented at ambient temps is right up my alley. My recipe is in my sig, but it couldn't be simpler, just 9 lbs pilsner and .5 lbs c40. I used nottingham for cost reasons, but also I've had really good luck with it before.

So how about it? Anyone done this before? What other styles (other than the funk-tastic belgians) can be done at ambient ~70 degrees?

I used White Labs Australian yeast in an Amber recently, I was having trouble keeping temps low (summer in AZ) most of fermentation was at 69-70F.
Its been in the bottle for two weeks now and tastes great, im still working out the recipe, but as far as the yeasts performance it was spot on!

Back