Getting 1388 starter to floc with ice bath??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I have this 1388 starter and it does not like to flocculate 100%, and i would hate to decant good yeast to collect my slurry..Anybody ever cold crash a yeast starter in a ice bath to help with low flocculent strains or is it too cold and will harm the yeast?

Put it in the fridge for overnight. Dump most of the liquid the next day. No concern for >32F.

Put it in the fridge for overnight. Dump most of the liquid the next day. No concern for >32F.

i put it in the fridge overnight still not flocculating..Alot of good yeast still in suspension..So are you saying an Ice bath will not have ill effects on the yeast?

How would an ice bath have any different outcomes than a fridge?

I was thinking cause its much colder.. i dont know if the outcome would be different..You dont thing it will make a difference??..Should i just let go a few more days in the fridge?

I was thinking cause its much colder.. i dont know if the outcome would be different..You dont thing it will make a difference??..Should i just let go a few more days in the fridge?

Unless your fridge is cold to the point if being unsafe(>41f), it wont be that much colder.

If its 5 gallons of wort and a 1L or less starter, just dump the whole thing. Otherwise, what you proposed will work-- wait a day or two, decant, and pour.

Unless your fridge is cold to the point if being unsafe(>41f), it wont be that much colder.

If its 5 gallons of wort and a 1L or less starter, just dump the whole thing. Otherwise, what you proposed will work-- wait a day or two, decant, and pour.

So i let it crash for 48 hours ..some yeast flocculated some stayed solution..So just decanted in clean/sterilized mason jars and put in the fridge burping every so often even though it does not seem to be off gassing..Brought the remaining yeast starter slurry up to room temp and added 1.5 more liters for step 2 of the starter..there is a small ammount of yeast collecting in the jars..Im gonna use them when i bottle..How should i go about stepping up this small ammount of yeast? Is half a liter good enough for bottling?

Back