03 October 2012 Corny keg price comparison-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been searching the internet for awhile, and am getting ready to buy 4-6 used corny kegs. I missed out last spring on a club group buy up in Mass where they were able to get some corny’s for $30 each, and since then I’ve been searching all over for the best deals around. They’re extremely rare on craigslist up here in MA and NH. They’re presently going for $40-50 each on ebay right now, with shipping. As an FYI, the dimensions of ball locks are 8.5” diameter, and 25” tall. Pin locks are 22” tall, and 9” in diameter. The diameter may be a crucial factor if you are planning on building a keezer based on a smaller freezer. Please see sizing your chest freezer for corny kegs for an in-depth analysis of this subject (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/), although it’s a 4 year old thread and many pictures are gone.

Anyway, here are my findings on costs, features, and availabilities of used and/or refurbished ball and pin lock corny’s as of 10/3/12. If you’re getting at least 4, you should be able to get them refurbished (or at least with a set of o-rings), and shipped, for less than $40 each. Here are the notes from a cost and features comparison from more than 10 major on-line keg sellers.
Hope it’s useful to some of you getting ready to get more kegs.

1. Adventures in Homebrewing, www.homebrewing.org
a. Ball Locks 4/$130 + $20.04 (Shipping to NH) -$150.04 ($37.51ea). Notes from site: Pressure tested 5 gallon, Ball lock, stainless steel, cornellius style tank. These tanks are guaranteed to hold pressure. Tanks will show normal wear and tear. Ball Lock Kegs with typical pin lock lids (no manual relief valves).Kegs are fully assembled. As a side note - these things are in great shape. Add a new lid, they will look like a NEW keg (some elbow grease is required).
No pin locks on site

2. Beverage Elements http://www.bvrgelements.com/category/Keg/
a. Ball Lock, used, 2/$87.50. 4 for $175.50 + 42.38 = $217.78 ($54.45ea). Notes from site: Made of stainless steel with dual rubber handles. Cleaned, pressure checked and de-labeled. O-rings are only replaced during pressure check if necessary. PLEASE NOTE: Even though this is a class 1 keg it is still used. Therefore it will have some blemishes and signs of use. Also, the pressure check we perform does not guarantee that it will hold pressure when it arrives.
b. Pin Lock, used. 2/$55.50, 4/$111+45.14 = $156.14 ($39 ea). Notes from site: Used Pin Lock kegs made of stainless steel. Dual handle. Perfect for home brew kegerators! Requires pin lock hose disconnects. Cleaned, sanitized, pressure checked and de-labeled. Previously used in beverage applications. Each keg measures 9" diameter x 22" tall which is 3" shorter than Ball Lock kegs.
c. EDIT: Note that Beverage Elements at times has single handle ball lock kegs for $23.95 ea + ship. Currently OOS.

3. Fred McEver [[email protected]] http://www.mceverdistrib.com/5gal-pepsi-pre-mix-tanks. McEver Distributors, Inc. New Smyrna Beach,Florida 32168 USA
Notes from an email: We offer pin lock and ball lock.
a. A grade ball lock starting at $38.99 and B grade starting at $28.99. We do offer discounts on multiple orders. To ship 4= $32 8=$62 12=$93. (shipping is $7.75-$8/each). Grade B ball lock, 4 x $28.99+$32 = $147.96 Grade A = 4x38.99+32 = 187.96.
b. I do not presently have prices on pin lock.

4. Keggle Brewing, www.kegglebrewing.com
a. Used Ball locks, $30 each. 4x30=$120 + $29.14 (shipping to NH) = $149.14. Web site notes: Reconditioned Ball Lock Corny Kegs These are Pepsi -style ball lock Corny Kegs; not converted Pin Locks. Kegs have been pressure-tested and o-rings replaced. Kegs may have loose rubber top and or bottom. Kegs may have minor dents. Kegs may have race-track style lids; race-track lids are more of an oval-shape. All lids have relief valves. Most kegs will have stickers, decals, or glue on the outside of them.
b. No Pin locks
5. Keg Connection, http://stores.kegconnection.com (fixed shipping at $7.95/order)
a. Ball Lock, limited amount of single handle kegs (can only buy max of 2), $34.95x2=$69.90+7.95=$77.85. We have a very limited quanity of these so please don't order more than two. This is a used, Single Handle 5 Gallon Ball Lock, Soda Keg (pepsi style). This keg has been cleaned and soaked in a hot "Brew Clean" (brand name) cleaning solution, re-rinsed, lubed and re-pressurized to check the seals. These kegs could have small dings, dents or scratches. These will not affect the function of the kegs. Many have stickers on the outside. The lids are oval shaped and are not interchangeable with any other style kegs. We fully guarantee your satisfaction with the kegs you purchase. ***FREE O-RING PROMOTION, GET A FREE SET OF New O-RINGS in addition to Orings that come on keg, 1 LID, 2 POST AND 2 DIPTUBE O-RINGS FREE WITH YOUR ORDER!***
b. Pin Lock (no # limit) $34.95 x 4 = $139.80 +7.95 = $147.75 ($36.94ea). Notes from site: This is a re-conditioned 5 Gallon Pin Lock, Soda Keg (Coke style). This keg has been cleaned and soaked in a hot "Brew Clean" solution, re-rinsed, lubed and re-pressurized to check the seals. The kegs are in good shape, but could have small dings, dents or scratches. These will not affect the function of the kegs. Many have stickers on the outside. They might be of either Cornelius, Firestone (also called Spartenburg) or Italian construction. All types of kegs are manufactured to the same specifications and are of the same quality. This keg's lid will not have a pull tab pressure relief valve but, rather, will come with a "Depressor" that fits onto the post to relieve pressure. The lids and O-rings are interchangeable. We fully guarantee your satisfaction with the kegs you purchase. ***FREE O-RING PROMOTION: 1 LID, 2 POST AND 2 DIPTUBE O-RINGS FREE WITH YOUR ORDER!*** You also receive a FREE Pin Lock Keg Poppet Valve Depressor !
6. Corny Keg, www.cornykeg.com.
a. Pin Locks. 2 for $73.95, x2 =$147.90 + $38.45 (Shipping to NH) =$186.35 (46.59 ea). Notes from site: Re-furbished Pin Lock kegs have been rinsed, washed, pressure checked and all orings have been replaced. These kegs are cleaned on the outside but do not have a perfect appearance. CornyKeg.com offers a 100% money back guarantee. If you are unhappy with the function of the corny keg you may return it for a full refund.
b. Ball locks, 2 for $86.95 x2=$173.90 + $38.45=$212.35 ($53ea)
7. Other non-contenders
a. Beveragefactory.com, reconditioned ball valves, $67 each
b. Midwestsupplies.com, $39.99ea, 4x39.99=159.96+$23.19=$183.15 ($45.79ea)
c. Austinhomebrew.com – no used kegs listed
d. Northernbrewer.com, used ball lock, $59.99 each

Here’s an interesting note from http://www.chicompany.net on why ball valve kegs are harder and harder to find: “We have been liquidating Pepsi's used equipment since 1996. In some years we liquidated over 60,000 kegs per year. On 9/29/2009 we picked up the LAST 800 kegs in the Pepsi Corporate system in the Western U.S. Pepsi (PBG) has no more kegs on the west coast. We now only sell new ball lock kegs. Other shops are selling the last dregs of used kegs available. Some shops are selling converted Pin Lock kegs and calling them "refurbished" Be careful...pin lock kegs are a different height and diameter.”

Great thread that's much appreciated - definitely something to be prosted.

I've been on the fence about a kegerator and 1 or 2 kegs for awhile now, just waiting for the right promotion to buy some new or used

You didn't list beverageelements' single handle ball lock for $28 each. I just bought 8. They are very very clean on the outside, completely delabeled and cleaned inside. A few did still have a strong syrup smell but no evidence of syrup internally, only sanitizer/rinse water. O rings are replaced and oddly they ship pressurized, but that's nice since you know they hold pressure when you get them. They do have dents but not asteroid craters. They also all have manual PRVs unlike homebrewing.orgs dual handle ball locks. I received 7 actual cornys and one firestone challenger vi.

You didn't list beverageelements' single handle ball lock for $28 each. I just bought 8. They are very very clean on the outside, completely delabeled and cleaned inside. A few did still have a strong syrup smell but no evidence of syrup internally, only sanitizer/rinse water. O rings are replaced and oddly they ship pressurized, but that's nice since you know they hold pressure when you get them. They do have dents but not asteroid craters. They also all have manual PRVs unlike homebrewing.orgs dual handle ball locks. I received 7 actual cornys and one firestone challenger vi.

OK so they're out of stock now. But that's happened before; wait a week or two and they'll likely have more. I don't care about getting class 1 kegs, so $35 (including shipping) for a very clean slightly dented keg was too good to pass up.

dcbw,
just edited the OP to reflect the single handle option, when it's available. Currently they have -1 in stock. Thanks for the input, but that's also why I dated the OP - things like prices on used kegs can change quite a bit, particularly on the specials and one-offs. You always have to be ready to jump on a good deal when you see it, because it might not be there tomorrow.

The prices have significantly changed and I'm wondering if there's enough people around here to do a group buy. I'd love to keg my beer now that I'm moving up to 10 gallon batches. But I just can't find any "cheap" corny's anywhere.

Back