Removing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest next time you toss the hops (pellet or whole) in the carboy without the bag. Then use the bag over your siphon when you rack your beer. About the only way to get the bag out now is either pull really hard or cut the bag and try to get the hops to fall out of it.

Try a coat hanger. Or if you have a carboy stand, turn it upside down and let the bag drain and dry for a few days, then fish it out. It'll be a pain no matter what.

I hook it as suggested earlier...now bear in mind I use disposable muslin hop bags, so once I pull a little out, I cut off what I pulled out, then give a little rinse, then repeat. Eventually the bag empties enough so you can pull the rest out then continue washing out the carboy...

I personally haven't fooled with hop bags in the boil or carboy for a lot of reasons...but I would just rack the beer out of the carboy then dump the hop bag and it should be easy to pull out.

BTW, I cold crash and haven't had any issues from racking off lots of hops and have had as many as 6 ounces in the boil and 8.5 oz dry hop(furious clone)

better bottles have a wider hole and the bag slides right out like a newborn.

Yeah, I dont have kids, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of pushing and screaming involved. It's actually similar to the baby aliens coming out of the chests of the people like in the Alien movies...

Latest posts

Back