CraigTube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The garden hose was the only thing I ever really questioned quite frankly. I stumbled on a video of CraigTube's through a google search on how to brew. It was amusing but actually helpful. I noticed that some home videos will suddenly skip over what I now feel are key points. Never assume when you first start brewing is what I tell people now.

I say keep doing what you're doing but that video about how you started your channel made me think you had passed. :(

^

I watched a recent one just last night, an extract stout he was doing a mini-mash on, and at the end he used that garden hose to top off...........lol

in one video he said that he never gets any off flavors from that particulat piece of hose. So he just keeps using it to top off,etc.

LOL My God I can't believe I'm posting this in HBT!!

Cheers!
Craig

I can't believe your posting ANYTHING in HBT!! After so many negative comments about you in the past, I figured we'd never see you here. I knew you read the site, from watching your videos, but never expected this!

Anyway, not like I have time to post here much anymore, but welcome to HBT Craig! :mug:

The garden hose was the only thing I ever really questioned quite frankly. I stumbled on a video of CraigTube's through a google search on how to brew. It was amusing but actually helpful. I noticed that some home videos will suddenly skip over what I now feel are key points. Never assume when you first start brewing is what I tell people now.

I say keep doing what you're doing but that video about how you started your channel made me think you had passed. :(

Hahaha the legendary fill hose. Craig stole it :p

Keep up the videos Craig. A lot of shows have come and gone and it's good to see you're still hanging in there. 17 :mug:

CraigTube - You have succeeded in your entertainment career IMHO. Your videos were an inspiration for me when I first started and still are. Always entertaining!

Drinking a couple for you tonight. :mug: Buurrrpp!

I can't believe your posting ANYTHING in HBT!! After so many negative comments about you in the past, I figured we'd never see you here. I knew you read the site, from watching your videos, but never expected this!

Anyway, not like I have time to post here much anymore, but welcome to HBT Craig! :mug:

Turn your head
Don't look back
Set your sails on a new horizon
Don't turn around, don't look down

And there's life
Across the tracks
And it's really now surprising
It gets better, when you get there

Cheers'n'Beers!

Craig

I've never seen the negative comments but it is my opinion that Craig just doesn't care, and shouldn't. People will say just about anything online because it is easy. There's no accountability. I am grateful for those who are willing to stand in front of a camera and teach people like me how to do things. If not for these guys (and girls), I wouldn't have learned as much as I did. Kegging is one thing that comes to mind. Though reading answered a lot, the ability to see things in action was very important.

I'm glad he continues to post here and of course on YouTube.

Yeah,I too still watch all his videos as a subscriber. And it is quite a different thing to get in front of the camera & remember what you want to say & all. There will always be negative comments,so don't give them much thought beyond any constructive critisizms they may contain.

Craig, I have some advice about your all grain video. Although I enjoyed watching it and think it's great you had the balls to post your first (and only?) experience with it. Here are some simple things that will make your next all grain on the stove so much more easier. Maybe it will help you do more all grain on your channel.

1. Preheat the mash tun. If your strike is say 168, pour in 180 water and let the temp fall to 168. Let it preheat for about 10 minutes should be just fine.

2. Mash in a degree or two high. It's easier to stir out a couple of degrees in a cooler than it is add heat as you know. After stirring if you are still a couple degrees hot you can add a few ice cubes to bring it down.

3. Batch Sparge! If you have properly milled grains don't sweat efficiency. Mash at 1.25-2.00 qts/lb, add some mash infusion water before draining the first runnings and then sparge with 180-190 degree water needed to come up to preboil. I'd never want to make another batch again if I was fly sparging with a spaghetti strainer.

4. If you split the boil use equal gravity in each pot AND equal volumes. Add equal hops to BOTH pots. Don't leave 1/3 of your wort boiling with no hops if you want to stay true to the recipe.

5. Get your volumes right. Beersmith and knowing your boil off rates in the pots. This is to avoid topping up that hard work with the garden hose. Full boil, don't dilute. If you must dilute (because of a concentrated boil rather than split pot for instance) plan for it ahead of time and use Beersmith's dilution tool.

6. Use campden tablets and filter your water if you have ANY trace of chlorine. Water is important it's most of the beer!

I've noticed you doing mini mashes for a while. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to mini mash might as well do all grain. The time is about the same. Also consider BIAB, no mash tun to clean. Think of it as a mini mash without the extract.

I've never seen the negative comments but it is my opinion that Craig just doesn't care, and shouldn't. People will say just about anything online because it is easy. There's no accountability. I am grateful for those who are willing to stand in front of a camera and teach people like me how to do things. If not for these guys (and girls), I wouldn't have learned as much as I did. Kegging is one thing that comes to mind. Though reading answered a lot, the ability to see things in action was very important.

I'm glad he continues to post here and of course on YouTube.

Oh, there were plenty of not so nice comments in the past! One of my favorite videos of Craig's was actually one where he was "ranting" about the all grain vs. extract debate. He eventually took it down, but I thought it was great. Bobby also made a great response video to it.

I think things have gotten better in that whole debate. I'm still primarily an all-grain brewer, probably 50-60% of the time, but I'm certainly not against brewing extract batches here and there when I don't have a full day for an all-grain brew and my house beer is an American brown recipe I'm working on based around a Coopers Bitter can. I ilke that Craig undertands that you should do what works for you. Sometimes an hour in the kitchen is all I have time for and that American brown recipe is perfect for that.

Anyway, keep posting the videos Craig and we'll keep watching!
:mug:

Oh, there were plenty of not so nice comments in the past! One of my favorite videos of Craig's was actually one where he was "ranting" about the all grain vs. extract debate. He eventually took it down, but I thought it was great. Bobby also made a great response video to it.

I remember that video. Having done extract, partial mash, and all grain, I don't understand the all-grain Nazis who love to troll extract brewers.

Yes, all grain has some distinct advantages, but you can make great beer with extract as well.

At the end of the day, if a brewer makes a beer he or she enjoys, then they brewed the right way. And watching him sip his beers on camera, there is no doubt Craig enjoys his handiwork. Hell, we should all stop and savor each beer the way he does.

Plus one to that. Whatever works best for you is good beer to just about anybody done well. I think Craig epitomizes that.

The question is how can you dislike craig? the guy is super friendly good hearted dude and he shows how easy it can be to make beer..I heard people bashing him saying "you can make good beer with extract" blah blah blah..but yet if you watch the videos you clearly see he enjoys his process and product but still people knock him and try to tell him all this BS..like that TSA jerk face who made 2 all grain batches and POOF!! was a brewmaster..If you make a batch no matter what method you use and pour it into a glass take a sip and enjoy it..you succeeded..some people like to get super involved, some like to have a quick easy brew day.. at the end of the day we are all making beer and having a good time

To: Craig!

Thank you!

Wishing to you and your family a very Merry Christmas, good vibes, and happy, healthy, and productive days. Always.

Cheers my friend!
Dan

I agree that Craig is the nicest, most even-tempered guy on the net. Just as a thank you for his videos that got me started, I sent him a copy of my home brewing ebook. He showed it on one of his videos. I hope he enjoys it as I have enjoed all his videos over the years. :mug:

I am just getting into brewing and I have to admit that Craig's video's have been a big help. They have played a big part in giving me the confidence to pursue home brewing. His delivery and his ability to present the information in a way that is not so much about building himself up but more about showing you that it doesn't always have to be rocket science is refreshing.

I hope he continues to do his videos and inspire others to jump in and go for it !

Craig,

Thanks for the inspiration and confidence !

"Cheers and Beers". :mug:

Back