Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
Any advice on best way to dry hop? My plan was to place 1 oz cascade and .5 oz simcoe in secondary (no muslin bag). Anyone have issues with too much expansion in carboy? Should I use a bag? If so, how would I get it out of the carboy when finished?

I use pellets. Put them in first, then rack on top of them. When its time to rack to the keg I put a piece of nylon mesh over the end of my racking cane to keep the hops out. Works like a charm.

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

Would you recommend sterilizing hops before you dry hop? If so, what's the best way to sterilize them?

I've dry hopped in a muslin bag and it's not hard to remove. Once you rack your finished brew out you can turn the carboy over and just grab the bag. If you think it would be difficult you can use either dental floss or what i use is a cotton string for cooking tied around a knot in the bag. I also have tied some glass "stones" into the bag to keep it weighed down.

Ohh alright. Would you recommend using a Muslin bag or just throwing the pellets in the carboy and rack?

Just throw the pellets in. Heck, I don't even use a secondary. I just throw the pellets in the primary after fermentation is complete. When I go to bottle, I line my bottling bucket with a paint strainer bag - it collects a lot of the stuff that didn't just settle out naturally in the carboy.

I like the muslin bag approach though i'm sue others would disagree. I would use a grain bag sized bag so there is more than enough room for expansion.

Lower 70 degree temps ok for dry hopping? I
Am In an apartment and don't have much to hold cooler temps except the air conditioning unit. Plan only 5 days of dry hopping... Any objections?

smokinj said:
I use pellets. Put them in first, then rack on top of them. When its time to rack to the keg I put a piece of nylon mesh over the end of my racking cane to keep the hops out. Works like a charm.

What do you use to keep the bag on? Zip-tie?

If you are using a grain bag, the string works. If you are using the disposable socks, I have used a zip tie and it works fine but you could also use a piece of floss, string or be creative,...."sanitized of course".

justin2001fox said:
Could you use a piece of the Muslin bag on the end also ?

If you mean muslin over the end of the racking cane, sure!

Back