Just Tasted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesc012

Reaction score
6 lbs breiss two row
6 lbs white wheat malt
.2 oz amarillo (60 mins)
.2 oz amarillo (15 mins)
.2 oz amarillo (5mins)
Zest of one orange (5mins)
- mashed at 154 for 90 minutes
- Batch sparged at 170 let sit for
Ten minutes then drained.
- boiled it down to 5.5 gallons
- OG: 1.060

Its not done yet, well actually not even close but while taking a hydrometer reading i decided to just drink the little bit i used for the reading...AMAZING! It tasted so good!! I know that im not even close but im pretty excited! Its been fermenting for about 8 days now and i think im going to rack to secondary with the zest of 2 or three oranges because the orange flavor is barely noticable if even at all. Im in pretty high hopes for this one though!

Sounds great! What yeast did you end up using for this one? Had a similar brew in mind. I've had a little better fortune once I moved my zest/spice additions back to knockout recently. With the essential oils and such being so volatile I have noticed that the aromas and flavors make it through primary a little better. But racking onto the zest will definitely bring back some of those aromas.

I ended up using us-05 and from what i tasted last night that was a pretty good decision. Next time though i may try an actual yeast designed for wheats though... we will see. Ya i want a nice orange taste/aroma and even though this beer tasted excellent i still need to add that little exctra orange zest just to boost the flavor and aroma a little bit.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for that next time i try this recipe or maybe one similar that would taste good?

Back