in need of some Fat Tire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ned-up

Reaction score
My neighbor wants me to do a Fat Tire clone and I want to see if I can get a couple bottles/cans of the commercial offering to compare!!! Im in New Hampshire and I could get some east coast stuff to trade!

I always enjoy traveling to states where I can find Fat Tire! My brewing buddy recently traveled to Vegas, and upon his return our Northern Brewer Phat Tyre was carbed and conditioned. While not an exact replica, he said it was very, very close to what he has recently had on tap. If you're looking for something like that, I would definitely recommend it.

kscarrington said:
I always enjoy traveling to states where I can find Fat Tire! My brewing buddy recently traveled to Vegas, and upon his return our Northern Brewer Phat Tyre was carbed and conditioned. While not an exact replica, he said it was very, very close to what he has recently had on tap. If you're looking for something like that, I would definitely recommend it.

Northern brewers clone is damn close

I would trade for some good smuttynose offerings! Although, I can get any of their year-round stuff. Any other good breweries up there?

No problem — just hold out until 2015 and Fat Tire will be all over the place thanks to their new Asheville brewery.

Northern brewers clone is damn close

Northern Brewers recipe :

5lbs Pils
2lbs Munich
2lbs Dark Munich
.5lbs Victory
.5lbs C60

Perle and Hersbrucker

From New Belgium's site
Malts - Pale, C-80, Munich, Victory
Hops - Willamette, Goldings, Target

I have never made it but Northern Brewers recipe does not look like it would be a clone.

I brewed Austin Homebrews extract version at the request of a friend for my 2nd ever brew. It was missing some flavor, but it was the one I never liked on Fat Tire. Everyone agreed it was one step better than FT.

Maybe the AG version would be closer. But exact clone it was not.

mewellsar said:
I brewed Austin Homebrews extract version at the request of a friend for my 2nd ever brew. It was missing some flavor, but it was the one I never liked on Fat Tire. Everyone agreed it was one step better than FT.

Maybe the AG version would be closer. But exact clone it was not.

I take that back. It was their partial mash kit I did. Not just extract.

maxam said:
I would trade for some good smuttynose offerings! Although, I can get any of their year-round stuff. Any other good breweries up there?

We have a couple local breweries.... check out "White Birch Brewing" in Hooksett,NH and "Candid Road Brewery/Nepenthe" they are new great stuff! Most of the other local stuff is brew pubs that only do growlers..... most of the bigger commercial breweries you probably get like Smuttynose or Shipyard... I just scored a few bottles of Dogfish Head 120 min that **** is like gold!

Back