3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam004

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a 5 gallon corny keg. If I only brew 3 gallons.... Can I still put it in the 5 gallon keg and what if any special measures would I need to take?

just make sure to purge the head space a few times to get all the oxygen out.

Yes, it's not problem. Even when filled, they don't stay that way for long. The volume in a keg drops as you drink the beer, right?

As audger said, the important thing is to purge out the oxygen. You do that by connecting the CO2, wait for it to stop hissing, then bleed off the pressure, let it fill again, bleed again, etc. I do it 3 or 4 times.

I literally just finished filling a 5gal keg with 3 gallons. You have nothing to worry about. I do it because I like to bottle some of each batch just in case its worth a competition entry, or to give away to people.

I've run at least 4 or 5 batches of mrbeer through kegs with no issue. I even force carbed them. I got into kegging before AG or even 5 gallon batches... Way easier than bottles.

Just make sure you purge the headspace of o2, thats the only catch.

Back