White Merlot wine kit leaked badly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crobhoo

Reaction score
Well, I bought a kit from my local store and BEGAN MY VIRGIN VOYAGE... much to my dismay, after the 4th day I get a call from my wife that the floor is full of wine.

Im like holly batman.... wtf is going on? who touched what etc. Well, the gasket around the spigot in the primary fermenter developed a leak on the 4th day of fermenting. It is my 1st go at this and I must say I am a little frustrated. I had a major leak at the spigot around the gasket and somehow the gasket/nut was backing off during fermentation.

So, my question is.... I lost 3 gallons nearly on the floor with 3 now in the carboy. I only have a 6 gallon carboy and im in crisis mode as to what I can do to top this carboy up with?? Keep in mind I just had $50 worth leak onto the floor. Is a white merlot wine the only answer to feel a measure of success with this situation? Can I use a concoction of concentrates or sugar water? PLEASE HELP ASAP IM HEADING TO WALMART ASAP

Dump it.

You have no idea what ingrediants are left in the 3 gallons.

I wouldn't dump it! But I'd definitely try to get a 3 gallon carboy.

I'm not sure how it leaked- does it have a spigot on it? My fermenters don't have spigots. Most primary fermenters don't, although I know Williams Brewing sells primaries with spigots. Most people use a regular bucket for primary for wine, and then a carboy for secondary. The bucket with a spigot is used for a bottling bucket.

Go buy two 3 gal carboy..I use mine all the time for 6 gal batches...plus they are not as heavy to lift as the 6 gal carboys...

I've never had a bucket with a spigot that didn't drip. Hence I've always warned people not to use it for primary, no matter how sexy it sounds to just open the spigot to rack vs. siphoning.

Save the 3 gallons! there's nothing wrong with it! but you only need half as much potassium sorbate and sulfite to stabilize it. and half the clarifier.

Latest posts

Back