What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last nights debauchery at my 2nd annual eggnog making event:

Surly Bender
Surly Overrated
Surly Furious
Wasatch Pumpkin
Bell's Expedition
Dogfish Head Rosabi
Olde Hickory's Hickory Stick Stout
Jester King El Cedro
Prairie BOMB!
Two homebrew from a friend (IPA and Brown)
Bell's Venus
La fin du monde
Backwoods Bastard
3F Oude Geuze Golden Blend (4 year)
Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout
Little Sumpin' Wild
@barroze 's Wild Texan (delicious!)

And plenty of bourbon, rum and cognac sampling while making the 4 batches eggnog.

We also had some 3 year old eggnog, it was as thick as syrup and phenomenal.

I hurt today.
and you should, you glorious bastard.

Surly Bender
Surly Overrated
Surly Furious
Wasatch Pumpkin
Bell's Expedition
Dogfish Head Rosabi
Jester King El Cedro
Prairie BOMB!
Bell's Venus
La fin du monde
Backwoods Bastard
Little Sumpin' Wild

And plenty of bourbon, rum and cognac sampling while making the 4 batches eggnog.

I hurt today.

Damn son! You did some work last night. That list reads like a who's who of badass beer

Thanks guys. I think my tongue hurts more than my liver. I can at least feel my liver today.

Surly Bender
Surly Overrated
Surly Furious
Wasatch Pumpkin
Bell's Expedition
Dogfish Head Rosabi
Jester King El Cedro
Prairie BOMB!
Bell's Venus
La fin du monde
Backwoods Bastard
Little Sumpin' Wild

I hurt today.

That sounds like enough to put the hurt on, care to share the eggnog recipe, 3 year old eggs sound intriguing;)

French vanilla capp at my son's hockey game

1416156898617.jpg

That sounds like enough to put the hurt on, care to share the eggnog recipe, 3 year old eggs sound intriguing;)

It is an ancient family recipe, very secret. ;)

It also happens to be the exact same as this one: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog

The secret is in the liquor, I have made it with several combinations but the best so far:

Jim Beam or Evan Williams for bourbon. (I have used Makers Mark, MM46, Bookers and Woodford Double Barrel in the past. Those are better for sipping while you make it but many people commented it was too bourbon-y for them.)

Hennessey Cognac (spendy but this is were it counts is key to the recipe, VSOP or better. This year we used Black, last year it was VSOP.)

Myers Black Rum OR a spiced rum is ok as well. My friends request The Krakken when I make their batches.

I don't generally have a large party during the holidays so I don't whip the cream and egg whites for serving. Pour some in a glass with a little fresh grated nutmeg and be merry.

I might whip up an egg white this year to try it, it looks delicious in their photo.

Tips:
It has to be kept refrigerated, mine lives in a gallon jug while bulk aging (1-3 weeks to thicken). Then it can be bottled in beer bottles or whatever. One friend's wife puts it in half pint Mason jars and attaches a bow and tag for gifts.

This makes about 3/4 of a gallon of base. Adding the egg whites and extra cream will get you in the 1 gallon area IF you choose to serve it that way (see note below).

Put at least one small container of it away for sampling during the making of the nog the following year.

Use the heaviest cream you can find.

Pasteurized eggs do not work as well as normal eggs, I do not recommend them.

Know the risks in consuming raw egg products before enjoying.

A microplane and whole nutmeg are the best for serving.

The reserved whites and 1.5 cups of cream are to be whipped IF you plan on serving it all at once, such as a holiday party. Otherwise the cream and egg whites will eventually deflate.

Taste it when it is fresh and make adjustments as you see fit. Some people like more sugar or a vanilla bean in theirs. Feel free to make it your own.

Last edited:
It is an ancient family recipe, very secret. ;)

It also happens to be the exact same as this one: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog

The secret is in the liquor, I have made it with several combinations but the best so far:

Jim Beam or Evan Williams for bourbon. (I have used Makers Mark, MM46, Bookers and Woodford Double Barrel in the past. Those are better for sipping while you make it but many people commented it was too bourbon-y for them.)

Hennessey Cognac (spendy but this is were it counts is key to the recipe, VSOP or better. This year we used Black, last year it was VSOP.)

Myers Black Rum OR a spiced rum is ok as well. My friends request The Krakken when I make their batches.

I don't generally have a large party during the holidays so I don't whip the cream and egg whites for serving. Pour some in a glass with a little fresh grated nutmeg and be merry.

I might whip up an egg white this year to try it, it looks delicious in their photo.

Tips:
It has to be kept refrigerated, mine lives in a gallon jug while bulk aging (1-3 weeks to thicken). Then it can be bottled in beer bottles or whatever. One friend's wife puts it in half pint Mason jars and attaches a bow and tag for gifts.

Put at least one small container of it away for sampling during the making of the nog the following year.
So are you bottling with the egg whites and cream?

HBT app is drunk again.

It's just hungover from picking up all the slack on sloppy Saturday when @chefrx was the only one participating.

Water. Gotta put a couple hundred miles on the car in a few hours. Then I am gonna finally have breakfast. Or maybe breakfast now and a nap before the drive. Hmmm. Bobbbbaaayyy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's just hungover from picking up all the slack on sloppy Saturday when @chefrx was the only one participating.

Water. Gotta put a couple hundred miles on the car in a few hours. Then I am gonna finally have breakfast. Or maybe breakfast now and a nap before the drive. Hmmm. Bobbbbaaayyy.

Oh I was participating, just not posting.

First beer since two days before surgery, so almost a week. Wish I'd have picked a better one. Says it's a gose, but the lacto is barely perceptible and there is no saltiness to speak of. Had high hopes since it was a beer club beer. It's not a drain pour, though, so there's that.

1416162726970.jpg

So no whites or cream at all?

Citra IPA,

Only when you serve it. You would still use the cup of cream in the base. Just not the 1.5 cups and 12 egg whites for serving.

Unless you wanted to drink it all in one night, since the whipped cream and white eggs would eventually deflate.

First beer since two days before surgery, so almost a week. Wish I'd have picked a better one. Says it's a gose, but the lacto is barely perceptible and there is no saltiness to speak of. Had high hopes since it was a beer club beer. It's not a drain pour, though, so there's that.

Hope you're feeling better, dude.

Pull of Mount Bicepious English IPA.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416163385.091136.jpg

Kwak.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416164080.243368.jpg

3 pints of bitter and now this, I fully expect to fall asleep.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I normally do not care for sweet tasting "beer" but this Zombie Killer cyser is pretty decent. I think I'd buy this stuff (this one was free).

where do you go for your commercial purchases? when we've been up and have the time, I've been going to France & 44.

France and 44th is a good one....I'm over by minnehaha falls so I usually find myself at elevated on Hiawatha...great selection of cold ones but their build your own sixer is awesome. Ale jail in St. Paul is good too...a little fancy schmancy though

where do you go for your commercial purchases? when we've been up and have the time, I've been going to France & 44.

France and 44th is a good one....I'm over by minnehaha falls so I usually find myself at elevated on Hiawatha...great selection of cold ones and their build your own sixer is awesome. Ale jail in St. Paul is good too...a little fancy schmancy though

Triple-Qhrumphf pour of OEC Aeris. I think the hashtag for this is #tartasfuk

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416166414.164433.jpg

@billy-klubb

France and 44th is a good one....I'm over by minnehaha falls so I usually find myself at elevated on Hiawatha...great selection of cold ones and their build your own sixer is awesome. Ale jail in St. Paul is good too...a little fancy schmancy though

Back