First Brew, Few Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepipesarecall

Reaction score
So I'm going to be brewing a copper IPA for my first, my own recipe.

I'm going to be using 3.15lbs of Amber syrup @ 60m of the boil, and then another 6lbs of Gold syrup as a late addition.

However, the end of my hop schedule also planned for 1oz of Citra and Simcoe hops @ 10m, and then 1oz of Cascade @ 5m. I know the point of late-addition is to increase the extraction/utilization of alpha acids from the hops, so when should I pour in the remaining 6lbs of Gold syrup if I want to add the 1oz of Citra/Simcoe @10 and 1oz of Cascade @ 5m?

Cheers!

You could put the gold LME (liquid malt extract) in anywhere near or right at the end of the boil. Putting it in with 10 minutes left in the boil would ensure you definitely kill any bugs in there; you could just add it a couple minutes before flame out though. It's really up to you.

doesn't late addition decrease the aplha acid isomerization/utilization and increase the aroma that remains in the beer?

I know the point of late-addition is to increase the extraction/utilization of alpha acids from the hops, so when should I pour in the remaining 6lbs of Gold syrup if I want to add the 1oz of Citra/Simcoe @10 and 1oz of Cascade @ 5m?

Cheers!

That's only one reason to do late addition of extract. Lessening carmelization of the wort is another, especially if you are doing a partial boil (ie boiling 3.5 gallons and topping off with water in your fermenter.)

if you are doing late addition, I would do it around the 10 minute mark.

Alright guys, thanks for your opinions. So would adding the remaining syrup @ 10minutes sort of nullify the effects of adding the Cascade hops at 5m?

I'm already planning to dry hop with 1 oz of Amarillo, 2 oz of Cascade, and 1 oz of Sorachi Ace (going for a very floral IPA), so should I just toss the remaining oz of Cascade into the dry hop portion (making it 3oz) rather than throwing them in late-addition?

You'd get more complexity including the 5 minute addition, and a little of it will go into taste. With all the hop additions/varieties late in the boil and dry hopping, I don't think it matters much when you add that oz.

doesn't late addition decrease the aplha acid isomerization/utilization and increase the aroma that remains in the beer?

I was confused at first the way the OP was stated as well - he meant late addition of the LME, not the hops.

Alright guys, thanks for your opinions. So would adding the remaining syrup @ 10minutes sort of nullify the effects of adding the Cascade hops at 5m?

What do you mean nullify? malt in no way effects the flavor/aroma that comes from the hops, only the IBU utilization, which for late hop adds are very low anyway

I've yet to brew so all the information I have comes from the large amount of research I've done the past few weeks heh. Understand the mechanism better now, thanks!

Back