Off to Prague

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBag

Reaction score
Well i've finally managed to book up for a quick break to Prague in the middle of December and was wondering about recommended Czech drinks to try?

And i guess also for anyone thats been before, some must have places to visit/things to do?

cheers

Prague is stiff with things to see and do, so long as you stay in the old parts of the city. When looking for restaurants, remember that many of them - and many of the best of them - are underground. Finished caves under the streets and buildings, with torchlight and pillars, the works. Very cool. I'm afraid I don't remember any names, but if you explore you should be fine. Hit the basics as well - the the castle and cathedral, the central square, the Charles Bridge....It's all good.

Beer is everywhere there; the locals drink it for breakfast. Each restaurant has a single brewery supplying it, and each brewery produces two beers for this purpose - a light and a dark lager. So you just order a 'dark' or a 'light' beer. I never got any bad ones, though some were better than others. The restaurant doesn't necessarily advertise the brand they carry, so I'm afraid I can't give much advice here, except to try different places. Like I said, you won't get any bad ones.

Absinthe and cannabis vodka are in every liquor shop as well; they are generally advertised boldly, as these products are often exotic to tourists. Neither has any significant psychological effect (except for that of alcohol), so don't be too afraid to try them if your'e curious. Absinthe starts to have a mild mind-altering effect if drunk in large quantities, but again, it's nothing major.

I would recommend visiting the U Fleku beer tent at some point. The place has a very old heritage. They brew a beer that is only served there, and sell it by the ton. During peak times, dozens of servers scurry about carrying trays covered with pints of beer, which they fling in front of anyone who doesn't have one. You need to tell them explicitly to stop if you've had enough. It is quite good, and the food is wonderful beer food. Terrible for you, but wonderful. They have wandering musicians, and locals often sing along and dance on the tables. A bit of a pricey place by Czech standards, but it should be tried once.

Get a Frommer's guide if you don't already have a guide. It will give you more detail, and tell you much that I left out.

Na zdraví!

wow thanks for the info sounds great
underground restaurants sound like my kind of thing

I'l get a hold of a frommers guide aswell as quckly try to learn some basic Czech

Don't eat the pretzels that hang in the center of the tables.

Do get shots of Becherovka (sweet spice liquor, good mixed with mineral water or apple juice as well)

Do buy hot wine on the streets or in coffee shops (like the Green Lantern) and do mix in some sugar (Svagne vino or something).

Scnitzel is good. But then, so is most czech food, if you like meat and southern style food.

Cheese fondue can be extraordinary in some places. I prefer places that speak no english and have no english signs or menus.

You are going at a great time... I love Prague in the winter.

Oh, and those big fish they are selling live... they take them home and keep them in the bathtub until they eat them. :mug:

Well i've finally managed to book up for a quick break to Prague in the middle of December and was wondering about recommended Czech drinks to try?

And i guess also for anyone thats been before, some must have places to visit/things to do?

cheers

bless you, you lucky dog. Have fun, and don't tell us about it.

I've visited Prague during my interrail trip last summer, and highly reccomend you visiting 'bar alternatif'. It's a basement bar with nice beer and spirits. Although its not a brewery, it has the same atmosphere as a small brewery bar.

I was in Prague in August. Jsberry is right, Pivo is beer. Proseem (phonetically spelled) is please. All the Czech I could muster was Pivo Proseem, which was enough. You'll find a lot of the people speak English very well. If you get a chance, check out the brewery up near the Cathedral. It's the Saint Norbert Brewery and it was started by Monks that use the same recipe from 1000 years ago. It's GREAT beer and the atmosphere is awesome. Go at night, remember the Castle is open at Night and we went there was hardly anyone there, but the place is packed during the day. Also, a good local restaurant is Ferdinand's. The beer is great, the Goulash is awesome. Also, you will get charged for bread and chips that are on the table whether you eat them or not. There are tours that meet at the main square and the night time tour of Prague and underground tour are both really great (and include a free beer!) The night time tour takes you to the St. Norbert Brewery, but I wished we could have spent more time there. If you have any more questions, PM me. Prague was great and I can talk about it a lot. Cheers!

Back