Cleaning up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByCandleLightWinery

Reaction score
Last weekend, I was rummaging though the freezer and came across some red bell peppers and some peaches my mother processed. I thought, "They sure do make a great jam together, I wonder how they would be as a wine." Into the primary they went. I racked it tonight, and was cleaning up, and my primary now has a nice peach colored ring where the top of the liquid was at. I used dish washing soap and a washcloth to try to get it out, since my beer brewing husband has managed to put the fear in me about scratches. I sort of decided not to worry about the stain, and just rinsed it out, but I'm sort of looking for a second opinion.

Since we are on the topic of cleaning, I want to run a few other things past you. Hubby is paranoid about my use of soap, but I rinse it several times, and when ever I get ready to use it again, I always run a potassium metasulfite solution through and/or over it again.

We have also been bottling at the same time to cut down on set up and clean up. He goes first with his beer and Star San (or is it San Star?), and then I follow with my wine or cider, but I don't change out the chemical. Mind you, we both have our own glass and siphons, so it is really only the bottle rinser and tower that we are sharing.

Anyone see any faults in my methods? I do have a feeling here that we are going to start sharing carboys here soon...

I don't really trust starsan. I use a super strong sulfite bath to sanitize my bottles and stuff, after a good beach pre-soak and rinse, if it's warranted. But that's just me. I also use soap to wash out grunge, but bleach and elbow grease can be just as effective, and bleach isn't a problem to beermakers if they rinse it off proper, I don't think.

Sounds alright though.

Back