What size chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a chest freezer for the basement for fermenting. I have a fridge in the garage that won't fit down the stairs and when it gets to freezing temps here in Wisco it becomes useless. Not complaining though because it was free. Anyway, what's the min cu ft I would need for a chest freezer for 6.5 gal carboys? Everytime I looks at some, the way they're shaped inside makes me think it won't fit. What are you guys using?

I have a fridge in the garage that won't fit down the stairs and when it gets to freezing temps here in Wisco it becomes useless.

Well, my advice would be to put a little heater and temp controller in the garage fridge and use it year round...just seems easier than buying a freezer and temp controller for the basement for winter use.

I have an analog temp controller. How would I be able to use that with the heater? I thought they could only be used for cold control.

I am using a GE 14.something cu. ft. chest freezer and am able to fit three 6.5 gallon carboys in at the same time. I can probably squeeze four in, but have not tried. I also have a Love TSS2-2100 dual stage controller that I haven't wired up yet

I have an analog temp controller. How would I be able to use that with the heater? I thought they could only be used for cold control.

What model do you own? Some can do both (one at a time) with a minor adjustment.

Another option would be a space heater with a built-in thermostat. I bought one at Lowes for about $25 last year. Then you don't need to worry about whether or not your model can work with a heater, and it could be used for something else.

For sizing, you could trace your carboys onto cardboard, and take those to the store for approximate sizing.

Back