Franken-wein/brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Reaction score
Want to help me put together an experimental something? I have an extra bucket with a grommet for an airlock that can probably hold ~3.5-4 gallons with head space.

I just did my first brew (Apfelwein). I had about 2 cups of extra juice that didn't fit into the bucket, so I put it in a milk gallon, and pitched some of the Montrachet yeast (the rest in the main bucket). I am letting it grow over a day or two so that it can start a franken-wein/brew. But I need a recipe!

I also have an extra gallon of apple juice since it came in 2 packs from costco, as well as several quarts of youngberry, black currant, and blueberry juices. Additionally, I have about 1 lb of some extra LME laying around ("organic malt extract" in a tall cylindrical jar? no idea how this got in my pantry). If hops would be good, I have an extra 1/2 oz of centennial and 1/2 oz of cascade. Maybe throw some type of sugar into the mix? Inverted? Maple syrup? I might have some cracked wheat for baking in the pantry. I don't know how old it is though.

edit: I have winter wheat berries, rye berries, rolled oats, and wheat flakes at least a pound or two of each. Making the raw berries into malt could be a fun project.

Throw some recipes at me using (mostly) the above ingredients!

Edit: Maybe aim more at an apple-blueberry-barley wine thing?

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.005
abv: ~10.3%

1 gallon apple juice
2 quarts blueberry juice
1 lb Suzanne's Specialties Organic Barley Malt Extract (who knows?)
1 lb Home Malted Wheat Berries
1/4 oz Centennial
Starter grown from Apfelwein juice (montrachet)

The whole idea is to use up the apple juice and starter with the wine yeast. I'd be doing the boil with as little water as I can get away with, cool her down, mix in the fruit juice, and top up with water until the gravity is around 1.085. Hoping this comes to about 3 gallons in that case?

That sounds crazy. So crazy it just might work!

My guess is that you won't wind up with much malt flavor... The juice will probably ferment out very dry, leaving you with a mostly winey-cidery flavor, with subtle hints of barley and wheat in the background. I might skip the hops altogether, since this is pretty far removed from "beer." Or you could used aged / low AA (~1%) hops, solely for their preservative antibacterial qualities, like they do for lambics.

You should brew it up and let us know how it turns out!

If you want the fruit flavor to stick out, I would suggest fermenting the apple juice and barley wine separately, then mix them together in the secondary. Otherwise if you do them together, much of the fruit flavor will be over-powered.

Back