Beer with Cider Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kunstler

Reaction score
I did a minimal search (I typed in "beer with cider yeast" and "Beer cider yeast" and "Beer Cider") and all I seem to find is using beer yeasts in cider.

I even looked at White Labs website at their WLP775 English Cider Yeast and there is just a note about it being used in big beers.

My question is:

I've made 5 gallons of cider (plain and simple stuff) its sitting right now in the primary, I'm getting ready to rack over to secondary to age/clear and I would love to re-use the yeast cake. I'm not a huge Cider/apfelwein fan and 5 gallons will last a while so I really don't want to make another cider - anyone try a cider yeast in a beer before?

Obviously It's going to dry it out, but there are ways of combating dryness in beer that are quite easy in my opinion. I know it will make a drinkable beer (it may or may not make my favourite beer but it will be drinkable) but has anyone tried this, or thought about this or have any input?

Thanks, :mug:

Did I actually come up with something that no one has tried before, or thought about, or even remotely have an interest in pretending to think about?

Seriously it can't be that no one out there knows a guy, who knows a guy, who once met a friend of a guy, who's dogwasher's neighbor tried this....

Guess I'll let it sit and try it with my next batch and post some results when they eventually happen....

I don't know if it will dry it out any more than nottingham or us-05. The dryness depends on how much fermentables are in the beer. Your cider drys out because it is almost all fermentable.

The biggest question would be what kind of esters would show up.

I just had this same idea after discovering the process of harvesting cider yeast from apple skins, and this thread was the best early google result. Did you try it? How did it turn out?

Back