Need a recipe formulation superhero. Will provide free beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again, great info.

No, I can't get Deschutes out here... my sister lives outside of Portland and my wife and I took a road trip throughout the PNW to visit her and explore all the killer breweries out that way. Deschutes was one that really impressed us overall.

I came across a 'beer of the month club' that will ship individual selections and they have a healthy stock of Deschutes, not to mention Russian River, and a bunch of other brands I can't get here. Great service, but the shipping is pricey... still, worth it in my book. The site is: bottletrek.com if anyone's interested...

Just wanted to post an update. This has been in the primary for 8 days, and fermentation continues. I took a sample today, and it is at 1.023, down from 1.095. Hoping to get to 1.014-1.016. Right now it's sitting at 9.45% ABV.

Cheers!

Quick update - 2 weeks in to primary fermentation, and it's still going, albeit very slowly. Plan to take a gravity reading in the next couple of days and will post it. Hoping to get it down to 1.016.

Well, the sample I took on day 8 and measured with my refractometer corrected to 1.023 - though I took a hydro sample last night and it was 1.024. It had been in primary for 14 days last night. I drank the hydro sample - and it tastes very close to Hop Henge - though it doesn't have the massive hop aroma right now - plan rack to secondary and dry hop after another week as long as airlock activity halts... right about May 3rd. I'll be brewing this again - but I'm going to drop the Marris Otter a tad to try to get closer to 1.088... which should help get it under 1.020. I thought it tasted surprisingly dry at 1.024 though... though I don't have a very well trained palette :). Once this batch is ready I may send a few bottles out for critique.

Another update. This has been in the primary for 3 weeks, and is still slowly fermenting. It has been sitting at 68F for the last 2 weeks. Gravity is down to 1.018. That puts it at 10.11% ABV, a little higher than the 8.75% in the actual Hop Henge. Color is spot on. Flavor is outstanding. Going to wait another week to rack to secondary and dry hop for 7 days.

Cheers!

Hi guys, some thoughts after sampling the beer.

152*F or even 154*F would be a better mash temp IMO. It sounds like 150*F it overattenuated a bit? Hop Henge is noticeably sweeter than my Maharaja clone which mashed at 151*F. Also, I used a less attenuative yeast on the Maharaja clone than WLP007 (I used WLP013 which is probably 3-4% less attenuative). WLP007 seems like a fine choice of yeast.

I think 15% Munich and 10% crystal... It's a lot sweeter and more caramel-like than most IIPAs I've had, and color is definitely fairly dark.

For hops I would use Millennium for bittering, Centennial and Amarillo for whirlpool equivalent, and Northern Brewer and Cascade for finishing in hopback. The amarillo flavor is definitely noticeable, as is the NB aroma. However I don't get any of the floral flavor notes NB would get from a whirlpool addition, and the aroma is very floral, so I suspect all the NB would have been in a hop back.

I have heard Deschutes doesn't dry hop any of their beers, that they have a huge hopback instead, though that conflicts with the info on their website. :confused: Without a hopback the closest effect I think you would get from a hop tea infusion into the secondary rather than dry hopping. Maybe some combination of dry hopping and hopback was used to produce this beer. Several pounds per barrel is a low dry hop rate, in those big tanks the hops don't get as much contact with the beer as in a homebrew carboy so there must have been something else contributing to the massive hop aroma.

Another update. This has been in the primary for 3 weeks, and is still slowly fermenting. It has been sitting at 68F for the last 2 weeks. Gravity is down to 1.018. That puts it at 10.11% ABV, a little higher than the 8.75% in the actual Hop Henge. Color is spot on. Flavor is outstanding. Going to wait another week to rack to secondary and dry hop for 7 days.

Cheers!

Start dry-hopping that baby now. Kick it up to 70-75º and dry hop 2 sessions of 7-10 days each. With the 10% ABV you'll need a little more aroma bite.

When you are all done, post the recipe you used, how much yeast you pitched, ferment temps, and what you would do different.
Keep the updates coming!!!!

Oh yeah, they dry hop this baby big.

See this blog post.

hop-henge-spillage.jpg

"But 95 IBU’s turned out to be so much wishing. Our first brewing of Hop Henge this year produced the following result. The very vigorous ferment, with a fermenter at capacity, blew our precious dry hops all over the floor depriving us of all the goodness therein. The result was a beer we calculated to, on paper, 243 IBUs! In the bottle, we only got 80 IBUs. Still, as I mentioned earlier, you apparently loved it. So, what did we do? We made another batch, added more hops, only filled the fermenter half-full and thought we would blow the doors off the beer (and your taste buds)."

Yea, they had that article at the brewery. It's a great read and shows how a lot of other Breweries that claim 100+IBU's are full of it. It's pretty sweet, Deschutes has a lab in the brewery to make sure everything is legit.

Well, this has been dry hopping for 3 days now. Thought I'd post a quick write-up on it, will post another update after tasting it when I bottle in a week.

This was the recipe I brewed. I oreder the grain from Brewmaster's Warehouse and got 78% efficiency. I had calculated based on my 70% efficiency with my LHBS crush.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hop Henge IIPA Clone
Brewer: Chris Hillman
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (TBD) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 8.68 gal
Estimated OG: 1.095 SG
Actual OG: 1.095
Actual FG: 1.018
Actual ABV: 10.11%
Estimated Color: 14.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 90.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
14.50 lb      Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        79.45 %       
2.50 lb       Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)              Grain        13.70 %       
1.00 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        5.48 %        
0.25 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)     Grain        1.37 %        
0.75 oz       Cascade [6.60 %]  (Dry Hop 7 days)        Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Northern Brewer [8.50 %]  (Dry Hop 7 days)Hops          -            
0.75 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (Dry Hop 7 days)    Hops          -            
1.00 oz       Millenium [12.00 %]  (75 min)             Hops         29.1 IBU      
0.60 oz       Centennial [9.00 %]  (60 min)             Hops         13.9 IBU      
0.60 oz       Northern Brewer [7.60 %]  (60 min)        Hops         11.8 IBU      
0.60 oz       Centennial [9.00 %]  (30 min)             Hops         10.7 IBU      
0.60 oz       Northern Brewer [7.60 %]  (30 min)        Hops         9.0 IBU       
0.30 oz       Centennial [9.00 %]  (15 min)             Hops         3.5 IBU       
0.25 oz       Cascade [7.50 %]  (15 min)                Hops         2.4 IBU       
0.75 oz       Centennial [9.00 %]  (5 min)              Hops         3.5 IBU       
0.75 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (5 min)           Hops         3.3 IBU       
0.75 oz       Cascade [7.50 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         2.9 IBU       
0.50 oz       Centennial [9.00 %]  (0 min)              Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (0 min)           Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Cascade [7.50 %]  (0 min)                 Hops          -            
0.50 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 18.25 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
90 min        Saccharification   Add 22.81 qt of water at 159.1 F    148.0 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min         168.0 F

I fermented the first 2 weeks at 68F in primary
Raised temp to 72 for 3rd week
Dropped down to 68F for 4th week.

Racked to bright tank with dry hops and held at 68F for 10 days.

I only ended up with 4 gallons in the bright tank due to issues I had on brew day. I only collected 4.5 gallons from the boil kettle due to clogs with hops/break matter. Lost .5 gallon due to yeast/trub.

I ordered grain to brew this again soon. Have the hops in the freezer. Ordered the grain from BMW again, but have adjusted recipe based on 78% efficiency. Going to drop the MO from 14.5 lbs to 13 lbs. Hoping to come in at an OG of 1.087 and be closer to the 8.75 ABV. I may alter the hop bill on the next round based on the flavor of the beer after I have it in bottles. I've got a 2L Erlenmeyer flask on the way that I'm going to use to do a bigger starter on my stir plate, though I didn't have any issues with attenuation. I'm going to use all leaf hops next time, except the 1 oz of millennium pellets. Can't find it in leaf :(.

I think next time I will mash at 152 instead of 148 to sweeten it a tad... this will depend on the flavor of the finished product.

I might take a photo of the secondary with the 4 gallons of beer with 2 oz of hops in it later tonight.

Wish me luck!

Has anyone else brewed this recipe to completion, and if so any thoughts on the final product? I’d love to hear any feedback if so.

I do have several questions based on Saccharomyces thoughts after tasting the beer.

…152*F or even 154*F would be a better mash temp IMO. It sounds like 150*F it overattenuated a bit? Hop Henge is noticeably sweeter than my Maharaja clone which mashed at 151*F. Also, I used a less attenuative yeast on the Maharaja clone than WLP007 (I used WLP013 which is probably 3-4% less attenuative). WLP007 seems like a fine choice of yeast.

I think 15% Munich and 10% crystal... It's a lot sweeter and more caramel-like than most IIPAs I've had, and color is definitely fairly dark.

This makes sense, especially for Batch #1 (my favorite); it tasted sweeter to me than #2. Would WLP005 be an acceptable, less attenuating, choice?

For hops I would use Millennium for bittering, Centennial and Amarillo for whirlpool equivalent, and Northern Brewer and Cascade for finishing in hopback. The amarillo flavor is definitely noticeable, as is the NB aroma. However I don't get any of the floral flavor notes NB would get from a whirlpool addition, and the aroma is very floral, so I suspect all the NB would have been in a hop back.

Would it make much difference to use Cascade/Centennial for bittering (since that’s what I have)?

In the recipe, Gonzo has additions at various times in the boil. Would there be any advantage to add all the bittering at the beginning of the boil, and then to add flavor and aroma at the end? I’ve read that this can add a lot of flavor and aroma with smoother bittering, true? If so, what quantities would you recommend.

… Without a hopback the closest effect I think you would get from a hop tea infusion into the secondary rather than dry hopping. …

I read in a forum where a brewer was dropping the temperature after the boil to 175 F., adding hops, and steeping for 30 minutes prior to completing cooling, in lieu of a hopback. Does this make sense? Does anyone have with experience with this technique?

Thanks for any thoughts! As a nube, if the answers can be found in other threads please feel free to pass along some good search keywords or links.

This makes sense, especially for Batch #1 (my favorite); it tasted sweeter to me than #2. Would WLP005 be an acceptable, less attenuating, choice?

WLP005 should work fine, just be sure to do a long and warm D-rest, so the yeast have time to cleanup the diacetyl before racking off the primary yeast.

Would it make much difference to use Cascade/Centennial for bittering (since that’s what I have)?

I think Centennial would work OK for this beer. Cascade would be too soft. You want some pretty harsh hop bitterness to cut through all that malt.

In the recipe, Gonzo has additions at various times in the boil. Would there be any advantage to add all the bittering at the beginning of the boil, and then to add flavor and aroma at the end? I’ve read that this can add a lot of flavor and aroma with smoother bittering, true? If so, what quantities would you recommend.

I read in a forum where a brewer was dropping the temperature after the boil to 175 F., adding hops, and steeping for 30 minutes prior to completing cooling, in lieu of a hopback. Does this make sense? Does anyone have with experience with this technique?

This simulates hopping in the whirlpool which isn't the same as using a hopback. In a hopback, the hot wort goes through the hops and straight into a plate chiller so there is no isomerization of the alpha acids. A whirlpool addition will contribute the hop bitterness and flavor of a 15 or 20 minute boil addition as well as aroma of a 5 minute boil addition.

For instance, the Maharaja is hopped at 60 and whirlpool, there are only two additions. If you chill right away adding the hops at 15 minutes gets similar flavor to whirlpool, but the advantage of whirlpool additions is you don't boil off the aroma compounds so you will get more aroma from the kettle hops. I think this would work really well for the Hop Henge clone also, and is what I'm planning to do next time I do a IIPA (eg. 60 minute boil addition, chill to 180, add the hops, wait 15 to 20 minutes, and then resume chilling). In software you would need input 75 minutes for the bittering hops and 15 minutes for the whirlpool hops to get an idea of the IBUs.

Thanks Saccharomyces!!

Would 3 days at 65, 7 at 68, and 4 at 72 work for cleaning up the diacetyl, or would you recommend different?

Since I'm a nube, I'd like to try this as a partial mash. With that in mind, how does below look for a recipe? Would adding in a half pound or so of carapils be worth considering for body? Note that I've used the 15 min. additions to calculate the IBUs as you recommended, even though I would add them during the "whirlpool," and that I was thinking of dry hopping "to taste." I would also brew a half batch to experiment, using BeerSmith to scale.

I notice that in the above post Deschutes is quoted as writing "The result was a beer we calculated to, on paper, 243 IBUs!" Does that mean they are using lots more hops than this?

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.25 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 20.31 %
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
2.75 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 17.19 %
1.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.94 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.56 %
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (75 min) Hops 40.7 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [10.80 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (15 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
1.50 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 29.0 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.090 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.48 %
Bitterness: 107.8 IBU
Est Color: 18.4

Mash Profile

60 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F
10 min Sparge Add 16.00 qt of water at 175.0 F

Would 3 days at 65, 7 at 68, and 4 at 72 work for cleaning up the diacetyl, or would you recommend different?

That sounds good.

The PM conversion looks good, but I think you will need 3 oz of Centennial for bittering rather than your 1 oz. That will get you closer to their quoted 243 (keep in mind hop utilization is 10-20% greater for commercial scale boils vs our puny homebrew boils).

Since I have the vast experience of having brewed twice, using extract with steeping grains, I decided a wonderfully illogical next step would be to brew an high alcohol, all-grain, BIAB, no-chill test batch roughly similar to the above recipes yesterday. (Way, way too many notes and thoughts follow the recipe.)

Because of the small amounts of hops at this batch size, I switched to metric for measuring, but am noting the non-metric numbers as well.

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/11/2009
Batch Size: 1.56 G/6.00 L
Boil Size: 2.43 G/9.35 L
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients

4.40 #/2.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.07 %
0.88 #/0.40 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 14.81 %
0.55 #/0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.26 %
0.11 #/0.05 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.85 %
0.39 oz/11.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.80 %] (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.9 IBU
0.42 oz/12.00 gm Centennial [8.00 %] (First Wort) Hops 27.6 IBU
0.63 oz/18.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (First Wort) Hops 27.9 IBU
1.06 oz/30.00 gm Centennial [8.00 %] (40 min) Hops 81.6 IBU
0.71 oz/20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (At 170 F post-boil) Hops 25.3 IBU
0.71 oz/20.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (At 170 F post-boil) Hops 18.2 IBU
0.71 oz/20.00 gm Centennial [8.00 %] (At 170 F post-boil) Hops 27.0 IBU
0.53 oz/15.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.53 oz/15.00 gm Centennial [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.53 oz/15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.13 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.090 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.099 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.93 %
Bitterness: 235.6 IBU
Est Color: 17.9 SRM

Mash Profile:
Total Grain Weight: 5.95 #/2.70 kg
Grain Temperature: 65.0 F
Pot Temperature: 166.0 F
158 F 75 min Mash, add grains to 11.50 L of water at 166 F
168 F 10 min Mash Out, heat to 168.0 F over 5 min

I purchased the grains in pounds and had the shop throw in a bit extra. This was good; when I converted to metric I needed a little more of each. Because of this I ended up using slightly less Crystal 60 and slightly more Crystal 80 then I had intended, but the color still seems reasonable.

I did the “brew in a bag” using a 32-quart tamale cooker and a five-gallon paint strainer. The tamale cooker has very thin walls, and despite putting a cardboard box over it, the temperature seemed to vary slightly depending on where in the pot I put the thermometer. Because of this, I stirred it every five to ten minutes. Keeping the burner heat on low seemed to hold the average temperature at 158 F, but it varied by +/-2 F depending on when and where I was taking the temperature.

I used pellet hops throughout. I tossed the first wort hops into the tamale cooker just before turning up the burner to mash out. I intended to just leave these in for the full boil, but some stuck to the grain bag when I removed it; I’m not sure how much.

After ~75 minutes, I turned up the burner to raise the temp to ~168 F to mash out for 10 minutes. I then removed the bag to let it drain while I began the boil. Following what one of the interviewed Australians said on the Basic Brewing Podcast, I squeezed the grain bag “until I got bored with it.” I then added the wort from draining and squeezing back to the brew pot.

I ended up with 2.47 G/9.35 of 1.065 wort into the BK. Using Beer Smith, my actual efficiency was 73%. (This surprised me, because the grind was relatively coarse. I asked the LHBS to grind it fine, but they were worried about the beer being bitter. For this round I was more into the experimenting than certain results, so I just had them do it at their normal grind. From reading, I thought I might end up about 60 to 65%.) I ended up with 75% efficiency into the boiler, and 65% (after trub losses, etc.) into the fermenter.

I was nervous about boiling in the thin-bottomed tamale cooker with a diffuser, so I move the wort into a SS three-gallon kettle to boil (using a pitcher). I did a very low boil for 90 minutes, and ended up post-boil with 1.65 G/6.25 L of 1.099 wort. (I had targeted around 1.090 using the lower efficiency.)

I tossed in the bittering hops at 40 minutes. After turning off the stove, I slid the pot off the burner and let it cool naturally. When the temp hit 170 F, I added the “whirlpool” hops. (The cooling was rapid at first, and very slow as the temperature approached the environmental temperature. I should have expected this, but for some reason was thinking it might be more linear.) Because of the no chill, I did the IBU calculations using 30 minutes for the FWH, 60 minutes for the 40-minute addition, and 15 minutes for the “whirlpool” hops.

Once I added the final hops I let the BK sit for 10 minutes or so, and then moved it to the garage where the temperature was in the high 40s. About five hours later the temperature was in the mid 70s, and I moved the wort into my 3-gallon Better Bottle. I tried to rack it to the fermenter, but the level was low enough in the kettle that I couldn’t get the auto-siphon started. I ended up just pouring it, using a paint bag set in my strainer to catch the trub.

There was a lot of liquid caught in the paint bag with the trub, so I mashed on it a bit with my hand to squeeze some out. I figured that my hands had been covered in sanitizer long enough to be relatively safe, but as I was mashing I noticed the gunk caught under my fingernails. Next time I’m bringing a surgical scrub brush and some surgical gloves home from work. (I’ll need to have some boiled or sanitized water to rinse off the powder.) I’m not sure if it is critical, but I’ll sleep better.

I use a water bath with an aquarium heater to temperature control my fermentation. I had the temperature at 65 F. I moved the Better Bottle there, and aerated the wort for ~45 min with filtered air from an aquarium pump.

The pitching calculator on Mr. Malty for my original recipe said that I would only need the one vial of yeast, so I didn’t make a starter and just dumped the contents straight into the fermenter. Putting the new numbers in today, including the higher specific gravity and “best by” date on the yeast vial, I should have (Mr. Malty shows I would need 1.3 vials). Ah well, next time. I did use some Wyeast yeast nutrient though. After pitching, I shook it well to aerate a bit more and mix the yeast in well.

I plan on three days at 65 F, then a week or so at 68 F, and a diacetyl rest of around four days at 70 F (depending on how the fermentation goes). I then plan on dropping the temp back down to 65 F to dry hop for a week. I may add more hops and go a second week depending on the taste.

I really appreciate the threads where brewers post both what they did and the results, so barring something catastrophic I’ll be sure to update you down the road. Hop Henge has been a January release in the past, so hopefully I’ll be able to do a direct comparison. I know it’s a moving target that they keep experimenting with, but hopefully they don’t make radical changes.

I realized I never followed up on this thread. The above batch stuck, and I had to mix it with the dregs and yeast cake of another brew to get it to finish. My main impression, even when mixed with the lower IBU dregs, was that this recipe was too bitter. I have the ingredients for round two, and will be trying this again targeting a bit less IBUs in the future.

Its been almost two years. Any update to this recipe? How was it? I had a hop henge the other day. One of the best ipa I've ever had.

Back