Regulator gauge stuck at 5psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alohanole

Reaction score
I recently acquired a used micromatic premium nitrogen regulator and the title says what my problem is. With no cylinder attached and no pressure, the low pressure (beer gas line) gauge reads 5 psi. I removed the plastic cover and pushed the needle down to zero, and it promptly returns to 5psi. Is there a way to calibrate or adjust these things? I read the manual, no mention of this problem. I would rather not have to buy a new gauge, but I will if I have to. Just wanted to see if anyone could assist. Thanks in advance!

One of my gauges has a small hole on the back with an Allen socket. It allows adjusting the zero on the dial. The rest have no provision for adjustment.

If you don't have an adjustment, check out lowes/home depot. I haven't tried yet, but saw they do have cheap gauges in their tool/air compressor section...

Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I called micromatic today and was told these gauges have no adjustments. I will look at Lowe's and see what they have. In the meantime, I just have to remember to subtract 5 psi on my nitro tap.

Raising this thread from the dead because I have a very similar problem, though mine is stuck near 10. Before I even saw this thread, I did the same thing as the OP and removed the cover. If I push the needle down it just springs back to its original position.

Is it safe to assume that if I set it so that it reads 20, that I'm actually at 10 PSI?

I will have to double check for a method of calibrating.

I intend to fix it, but I have better things to spend money on right this moment. In the meantime, I'd like to avoid overcarbing a beer!

No one answered, but I just replaced the gauge and I'm guessing that the old gauge WAS accurate, if I compensated for the offset. However, that's no way to go through life.

In addition, as I was adjusting the pressure with the old gauge it wasn't really moving the needle right away. The new gauge moves as I would expect.

It looks like replacing the gauge is clearly the fix for this problem. It was easy and I got a 0 to 30 psi, so I can more accurately dial in my pressure.

Latest posts

Back