Flaked Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I want to make an Oatmeal Stout that calls for Flaked oats. I don't know my LHBS that well, do they typically sell them at store or do you guys pick them up at a grocery store?

Yeap, I use this stuff too, though I haven't tried the toasting thing, I'll have to do that with my next batch...
QuickOats.jpg

Make sure it is the Quick Oats and not the regular Oatmeal. The Quick Oats are pre gelatinized and can be added directly to the mash. Regular rolled Oats or cut Oats need to be cereal mashed to gelatinize the starches so they can be converted.

I'll be attempting a oatmeal stout for my second PM ever this weekend, and I'd like a quick clarification so I don't screw it up too badly :)

Do I simply add the Quick Oats at the beginning of the 1hr boil, alongside the LME? Do I need to prepare it (the flaked oats) beforehand, or do I drop it in "as-is" (dry)?

Yes it'll be a partial mash.

I guess I'm asking if the flaked oats should be seeped in the nylon bag along with the rest of my grains, or just thrown in for the full 1hr boil.

Thanks!

OK, so to perform your partial mash, you are steeping your specialty grains in a nylon bag, in the boil pot, for the amount of time, then removing the bag prior to the boil, correct?

If so, yes - in the nylon bag with the rest of the grains. You definitely don't want to boil the oats for an hour.

Yes it'll be a partial mash.

I guess I'm asking if the flaked oats should be seeped in the nylon bag along with the rest of my grains, or just thrown in for the full 1hr boil.

Thanks!

Steeped...not boiled. Oats yield the same sweet liquor that your other grains do, via steeping/mashing.

Yes Chriso, that's exactly right.

Thanks for the quick clarification guys! I just whipped up this recipe from various sources around the forum and net and I'm anxious to see the results... No real clue how it'll turn out so wish me luck :)

Sorry to sound so unsure - I've only done All-Grain so I usually try (a little too hard) to make sure I know exactly what the other person's doing before I go spouting off recommendations. :)

Latest posts

Back