How long is it good for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mediamst

Reaction score
I pitched yeast in my wort on 5/30/08. Went to secondary on 6/13/08. Its been in secondary this whole time. Is this beer still ok to bottle or has it sat too long? It is an oatmeal stout.

Thanks!

it'll probably be FANTASTIC!!! age is usually good for beers ;)

a lot of the yeast may have dropped out, tho, so it could take some time to carbonate.

you may wish to add some more yeast at bottling time.

As I have read here - procrastination is a good thing in Homebrewering.

I think it is better to wait too long then not long enough.

And Oatmeal Stout is the perfect thing to procrastinate with. Lots of ingredients to meld together. Probably is GREAT!!

I think you could go two more months in the secondary, repitch yeast and bottle. Should be real tasty and nice and smooth after another month in bottles.

I just opened the 2ndary fermentor to bottle the beer and there is a layer of creamy whitish powder or something on top of the layer of beer. It is slippery to the touch. Is smells like alcohol in there though. I recovered it. Is this layer mold? It doesnt smell foul it just looks wierd. I have never seen this before.

Should I dump this batch?

I bottled the beer and now in the bottles even there is a fine layer of white powderish film on the top of the beer in each bottle.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Yeast should settle out to the bottom right? This is laying on the top layer of the beer.

What yeast are you using?

If the substance is totally odorless and tasteless I say who cares. Maybe it's something to do with the oats.

It's probably a bottle krauzen...put the beer in the closet and leave it alone for 3 weeks, it doesn't need you staring at it. :D

There's nothing you can do anyway...just wait it out...It will either be fine or not...but you won't know unless you let the yeasties do their jobs.

Latest posts

Back