How long to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I havent brewed in about 6 months. I made up the Blackberry Crush juice as noted in a few posts back. The sugar content of the juice should work out to be almost exactly the same as Edworts Apfelwein. I made it up last night around 6:00 pm, and dropped in the montrachet yeast. As of this morning Im seeing absolutley nothing going on in the fermenter. If I remember correctly, the last time I made apfelwein, it was going steady within the same time period.

The yeast Im using is probably 7 months old, and has been stored in the fridge. I beleive dry yeast should stay good for 2 years or so.

Should I toss in another packet? Any other thoughts?

Wait at least a couple more days. Fermentation can sometimes take a few days to get going. While your yeast is probably fine, being a bit old might just mean it needs to take its time. Did you allow the yeast to warm to room temp before pitching? What temperature (roughly) was your blackberry crush when you pitched?

Plenty of questions to ask, but in reality, none of them probably matter. You really should just relax, enjoy a brew and wait it out.

Give it a good hard shake.
Montrichet has been a little cranky for me more than once, but I've never had to re-pitch. Also, Make sure it's in a good warm spot. I made apfelwein with juice out of the basement...38 degrees...and it took like 3 days to warm up enough to start.

All were at room temp. I bought the juice from the store off the shelf, and it never hit the fridge. The yeast was pulled from the fridge a good 2 hours before pitching.

So when I get home, if it isnt going yet Ill give it a good hard shake. Other than that, Ill wait a couple of days and then repitch if needed.

Back