Plastic Corks vs natural ones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make my first batch of wine, so I'm collecting 750ml bottles. I was just at the liquor store the other day and saw they sold plastic corks, and natural corks. Is there a benefit to one over the other? I know for natural ones, I need to buy a tool to insert them. For the Plastic ones, do you just push them in and they are good? Do they need to be dry, or can you take them right from sanitizer and insert them?

jflongo said:
I am getting ready to make my first batch of wine, so I'm collecting 750ml bottles. I was just at the liquor store the other day and saw they sold plastic corks, and natural corks. Is there a benefit to one over the other? I know for natural ones, I need to buy a tool to insert them. For the Plastic ones, do you just push them in and they are good? Do they need to be dry, or can you take them right from sanitizer and insert them?

I don't care for the solid plastic corks, they don't create a good seal to the bottle. I prefer the synthetic corks that resemble real corks. They work well.

Back