Light Munich vs dark Munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
I was planning an Oct fest.
3.5 pils
3.5 vienna
3.5 light Munich
.5 crystal 40

I went to the brew store and they where out of light Munich but had dark Munich @ 33 L. So I opted to use 3 lbs dark Munich and 1 lbs crystal 10 instead.

Is it normal to see dark Munich @ 33 l? Looking around on here I can only see reference to dark Munich around 20 l.

Any ideas if this will still represent a good October fest?

Hall to 21 ibu's and 2565 yeast.
Thanks.

Actually, real 'dark' munich malt is around 9-10L and is usually sold by Weyermann. Munich 20L and higher are domestic specialty malts, typically made from 6-row, and should be treated as crystal malts. I would recommend not using this malt at all, but if you do, keep it under 10% unless you want a sickeningly sweet beer.

I hope you haven't already brewed...

well crap, thats what I was worried about. I was thinking it was a cara-munich but all of those that I could find had a 70 ish L. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a munich 33l....maybe its not a "crystal" malt. My local guy (houston) has a good selection but nothing overly exotic or fancy that wouldn't sell. Typical malts from wyerman, breis, ect. Im hoping I either misread the label or he labeled it wrong.

Anyhow the grains are mixed together and crushed. I'm planning on brewing this up Wednesday morning. Any ideas to counter the possible overly-sweetness. I'll probably just go for it....maybe up the bitterness a tad.

Gambrinus makes a dark Munich at 30L, that may be what you have, its definitely not a crystal malt and needs to be mashed. Its got a really great flavor to it, altho 3.5 lbs in that recipe is a bit excessive tho.

I'd call or e-mail the shop and see if they can let you know who the malting company was, so you can find out exactly what you're dealing with. Although I'm not entirely sure what you'd do about it now... If it's the crystal version, add some sugar and extract to get the gravity up 15 points and a few IBUs and you're in the ballpark for a bock (a German one, not the Shiner version).

Brew went well. About 5.2 gallons 1.054 OG. BIAB 70 minute mash, mash out, 90 minute boil. I added .2 grams Fuggle to get the IBU's up to 24 ish. Wort tastes good. I'm sure it will be very good.

I go to Brew it yourself and typically bug Ray on a weekly basis. I'll be sure to get the specs on the grain next time I go in. I'm pretty sure its not "crystal" as he has a recipe for a munich dunkel that uses 9.5 lbs of this dark munich. I also don't think he would let me add 3 lbs of a crystal without at least warning me. Hey kingwood kid, do you go to that brew store in humble? I have been meaning to check that place out...

Come to Beer Friday! September 21st. Bring a sixer of homebrew or craft and sample everyone else's. It's a lot of fun.

Glad it wasn't crystal malt, which would make it the Gambrinus malt Gwitz mentioned. More of a German amber malt then a true Dark Munich, I suppose. Hope the beer turns out well.

My buddy who lives in kingwood and I have been talking about making it out there one of these days. Unfortunately its most likely not going to happen this weekend. I have family and friends in town this weekend for our babyshower/party (kid #3) on Saturday. How often, once a month?

It's once a month, except for the months they don't do it. We have homebrew club meetings once a month on Thursdays, which usually turn into pretty much the same thing as Beer Fridays, albeit a little smaller. Click the link in my sig to see the schedule, or PM me if you have any questions.

Just to update... I racked it to a keg today. Og1.054. Fg 1.015. NOT very sweet at all thank goodness. You guys had me worried. Tasted good considering. Will update in a few weeks when it's carbed.

Back