Nutt brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

907_fellow

Reaction score
Tonight I brewed my second batch. It was a nut brown ale. The recipe called for a vile of wyest European ale yeast but I accidently bought a vile of wyeast English ale yeast. How is this gonna turn out? My OG was 1.052. Everything else went well.
Recipe
image-1001341201.jpg

First run in the keggle. Still need all the weld less fittings but it worked.
image-207877266.jpg

Nice dark nut brown ale.
image-2491161943.jpg

So the 1098 is the whitbread dry strain. It is more attenuative than the 1338 so you'll likely get a drier beer in the end. Its a clean yeast, I just used it on a batch of English brown myself, it takes a little longer to clear than the 1338. With the caramel malt in your recipe you'll have plenty of residual sweetness and in my opinion a better beer. It could have been pretty cloying with the euro ale strain.

Which Wyeast yeast did you use? There are several 'English' strains available from them.

BTW, Wyeast doesn't have a strain marked as "European ale yeast" so I wouldn't worry. The instructions probably intended for you to pick an English strain anyway.

I really enjoy what Wyeast 1318, 1335, and 1882-PC do for my brews. I use those three strains for almost everything (at least when I have some viable 1882-PC available).

I threw the vile away and am too new to the home brew scene to remember which number it was. Guess I need to pay more attention next time and take better notes ( I wrote down the wyeast English ale but not the #). Oh well it's too late now! Just gotta enjoy the brew. Those of you that have brewed nut brown ale, what would be suggested primary/secondary fermentation times? As far as aging goes. Thanks for the input!

Wyeast comes in pouches, White Labs comes in vials. I've only used Wyeast for my beers (smack packs, or activator packs as they're also called)...

It was a white labs yeast then sorry. Again I am new an this was the first time I have used liquid yeast. Does it normally take longer to show initial signs of taking hold if you don't do a starter? Last batch I brewed with dry yeast, I was able to see a lot of activity in 24 hrs. Art this point, it's been 24 hrs and it's defiantly slower.
image-1866234637.jpg

Previous pic was last night at 8pm. Woke up at 6:30 this morning to a pleasant surprise :). Might need a blow off on her this afternoon ha
image-2070607023.jpg

Airlock was starting to fill with foam when I won't home at lunch so I added a blow off to her. Sanitized with star-San the best I could and filled the water jug with star San.
image-654887527.jpg

image-3575037481.jpg

I'll add that the worst yeast on that list for the beer is Cooper's. The beer would have been too sweet. Other than that, I think you'll have a good beer. It should be done fermenting in 4-5 more days. Most of us do not use secondaries any more. As soon as the fermentation finishes the trub will start to settle (clear) and the beer will darken at the top. Once the dark layer goes all the way down, it's ready to bottle. Since it's a Brown, give it a week to carbonate and it will be good to go.

david_42, Coopers (and Munton's) yeast is great for a beer. Provided you toss it into the boil during the final 10-15 minutes. Turn it into yeast food for you GOOD yeast. :rockin:

Yes, yeast happily eat their dead brethren.

First time using a blow-off tube... Is it alright to leave that on for the duration of fermentation? Should I go back to the 3-peice airlock? I kno cold crashing can cause a back siphon and I am thinking about cold crashing this one for 5 days before kegging, once that time comes.

Back