Looks like im about ready to bottle, few more questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
My last SG reading was on the 15th and came in at 1.017, I decided to wait until tonight for another FG reading and im expecting a finish around 1.010. SO the real question is, if my FG is where its supposed to be should I sit on it another week or cold crash it tonight? IF im going to cold crash, its most likely going to be outside in my shed, temperatures here are going to be at a high of 53 and an absolute LOW of 37 with an average for the next 2 days around 45. Is that not cold enough? I know its not necessary but a little extra clarity in my 1st brew would be nice. Heres some pics from the 15th of my English Amber

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Take a reading tonight, tomorrow, and the next day. If there's no change and it's around where you want it to be, bottle it.

I wouldn't cold crash it in the fluctuating temperatures. Maybe put it out for one night and then bottle it.

Take a reading tonight, tomorrow, and the next day. If there's no change and it's around where you want it to be, bottle it.

I wouldn't cold crash it in the fluctuating temperatures. Maybe put it out for one night and then bottle it.

I wouldn't mess with it that much. Every time you open it up, you increase the chance of something getting in there that you don't want. How long has it been in primary so far? Be patient and give it a good 3-4 weeks and then take a hydrometer reading.

33-34F is ideal for cold crashing but getting it down in the 50's will help. Just make sure it is protected from the sun.

I really find my beers are better if I give them a week on the yeast after hitting FG, whether I'm going to secondary, dry hop, or bottle. I would recommend it to everyone.

Greetings, you can take another reading tonight and another in a couple days to see if you are at FG. If the reading match you can cold crash over night at 37F without worries. The 37 -53F swing is a little concerning. Just overnight in the shed and bring it in to bottle is fine. Cheers:)

dude, its not even winter in NY, late december and its 55 degrees. How many of you guys cold crash as apposed to dont? is crashing gonna sacrifice clarity for complexity? Im on the 17th day of ferm, I can wait I pretty much dont look at it at all, just opened once at 13 days to peak and take an SG reading and those pics are the 1st time ive seen the beer since the wort went in. It tasted just fine, very light carb with a strong bitter and a dry finish, except it was kind of like drinking beer thats a week old. Should I bother with a cold crash at all?

If you are happy with the clarity now, there's no real need to cold crash. I don't think you lose any flavor in cold crashing, it is mostly cosmetic. You can definitely get a decent cold crash with mid 30 degree nights like you mentioned, however.

All told, if you are still seven points off of your expected final gravity, make damn sure the gravity is stable prior to bottling. If that yeast decides to take off when you disturb it for bottling you could have a disaster. That's why I would say let it sit another week at fermentation temp just to make sure.

Back