Bottle-fermenting beer with whisky/honey as primer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Reaction score
Quite an odd question, I know, but I got a whisky/honey/cinnamon infusion (which I got exact numbers on honey value on by the way) that I've been thinking about using in a stout.

It's 100g of honey dilluted into 185 ml whisky, which is a mix of the following whiskies:
  • Jack Daniels standard (75 ml)
  • Johnnie Walker red label (50 ml)
  • Johnnie Walker black label (75 ml)
AKA it's a barman whisky blend overture into southern comfort. :]

But could I use that for a priming sugar source? Or would it be a plain horrible idea?

two things to think about:

1. how do you know what the right amount of honey will be. too much will cause bottle bombs. not enough will cause flat beer.

2 raw honey can cause an infection. boiling it in water or adding liquor may kill anything living in there if done correctly.

The honey was mixed approx 1 to 2.5, so the alcohol percentage is above 20%, plus the honey contains natural preservatives. And freshly opened. How big is the chance for infective bacteria in that substance? Besides, I know alcohol vaporizes at seventy-something degrees celsius, but what temperature interval is best killing off the most bacteria? Isn't it around 50?

And I'm basing my numbers in honey with that honey is less fermentable than raw sugar. If i use a half bottle of the substance plus 50g white sugar. 100g sugar in total with some unfermentables.

(Off-topic: the cinnamon stick absorbed 15ml of the whisky. My math is correct. :] )

two things to think about:

1. how do you know what the right amount of honey will be. too much will cause bottle bombs. not enough will cause flat beer.

This is a good point...

2 raw honey can cause an infection. boiling it in water or adding liquor may kill anything living in there if done correctly.

Maybe the mead-makers can chime in, but I don't think this is correct. IIRC this idea is from an incorrect state made by Papazian in his book. Honey doesn't have the the water activity to harbor spoilage bacteria, with the exception of botulism spores. The spores will not grow in fermented beer (low pH, alcohol content) so they aren't an issue either.

You'll have to crunch some numbers.

I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

^ I saw the table; 1 cup for bottling.
But I'm doing a 25-liter batch. 25 liter is bigger than 5 gallons, as 1 gallon is approx 4.5 liters. So that measurement is meant for 22.5 liters of beer.

Converted, calculated and cracked, I'm using .29 cups of honey if I add all my whisky/honey. Honey got 1 cup to 5 gallons, and 22.5 liters is 5 gallons; 25 liters is target volume.
So I need to use ((0.71*2/3 cups of sugar)/22.5*25) cups of sugar, converted to metric grams.

My math might be slightly off right here, but it's not by a lot here.

Back