Naming a beer-Please HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleather

Reaction score
I am a newbie to this home brewing. I brewed the extract "American Light" last weekend for my first brew. Brewers Best makes the extract.
Planning on going to a group meeting of home brewers for the first time to share my beer when it has aged long enough.

If I name the beer "Dog Dayz" (for the summer) instead of American Light is that against the unwritten rules of home brew? Or does everyone name their own beer whether it is an extract or now?

Please help as I don't want to go to the meeting and look like an idiot.

I don't think there is a formal protocol, but I personally do not name my beers unless it is my own recipe (extract or not). When I brew from a kit, I use their name, basically because I would feel like I'm plagiarizing if I didn't.

You can call it whatever you want. You made it, its your brew(Extract or AG). The only courtesy i would extend is if a member of the homebrew club gives you a recipe and you make it, make sure you call it whatever they do.

I do extract brews,but only 2 kits. I combine different extracts & hops,so I name them to suit the style somehow.

if brewed from a kit, i would not really name it other than what was on the box. If you adjust the recipe at all then it is fair game.

Name the beer "idiot" just in case. That way every time you hear "what an idiot" you can assume they are complimenting your beer.

I named my first beer "Steve" (extract from a kit). If I hadn't modified it... I probably would have used the name of the kit.

BeerLabel.jpg

(bottle cap label)

Back