Gravity reading after bottling is in another league compared to FG at bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
So I brewed up a Saison late last summer. The FG (or so I thought) was 1.007 at bottling, but I just opened a bottle earlier tonight and took a gravity reading (an excuse to use my refractometer) and was astounded to find the reading over 1.020. I used a hydrometer for the FG at bottling, and I took multiple readings prior to bottling, noting the gradual progression down to 1.007. So, assuming I didn't screw up the readings, does anyone have an idea about this? ...or did I screw up the readings? :D

I will say that I thought my Saison always has tasted different, maybe "heavier" than I wanted to be.

You have to take into account the presence of alcohol, and co2 in your sample. I've really never heard of anyone having the need to take a post bottling reading...that could be why. ;)

Where would the presence of unfermentables that would lower the gravity be coming from? How would something "un-ferment?"

In other words...Operator error.......

The presence of alcohol would tend to lower the gravity reading. Post-bottling sampling would be higher due to the CO2. If you want an accurate way to measure, take your sample and shake/stir to get all the CO2 out of solution. Then measure and you should have the same (or very close) SG as to when the beer was bottled.

Ooooooh! Ok, these things did (very) briefly cross my mind. I guess I thought the refractometer was a little more magical than it really is. I'm just relieved my pre-bottling readings were the right ones.

Revvy, with over 26,000 posts and all the experience you have, I will take my having done something you have never heard of as a compliment and an original contribution to the HBT archives. :D

Ace_Club, I'll try that next time...Thanks guys!

Back