What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm lucky that my kids don't have to go to daycare, but I fear they have know immune system and that were all doomed when they start school.

Water with lunch at work.

My wife is a stay at home mom so no daycare, but she babysits frequently so there's no lack of germ exposure. And now I've got a kid in preschool so that helps.

After lunch water.

Well sometimes its hard living in craft beer central :D
I think Im going for 2 Mad Hatters, a Paleooza and a Hopivore.

I'm sure it is.
I just wish the stupid TABC would get their collective heads out of their fannies and get with the times. It's pretty ridiculous that breweries here can't fill growlers. The places that can fill growlers here charge bar prices for the fills. No cheap fills usually. Until recently, brew pubs couldn't distribute outside the premises and breweries couldn't operate a taproom where they sell by the glass. The one thing that happened as a result of the latter that I don't agree with is there's pretty much no such thing as free tours with samples. And all but one of the breweries here in Houston operate a "taproom" that is nothing more than the non climate controlled space the cheaper/free tastings were previously held. And the prices are pretty much what you'd pay in a bar, with AC/Heat. I'm pretty sure Saint Arnold is the only brewery here with a climate controlled taproom.
End rant. I need a beer. :D

I'm thinking we get enough germs. My wife works part time at three different schools and private clients, all snot nosed preschoolers, and my MIL that babysits a lot is a preschool teacher and my mom that also babysits works at a pediatrician's office.

Parents of daycare kids outsource their germs, we bring them in house :D

I'm sure it is.
I just wish the stupid TABC would get their collective heads out of their fannies and get with the times. It's pretty ridiculous that breweries here can't fill growlers. The places that can fill growlers here charge bar prices for the fills. No cheap fills usually. Until recently, brew pubs couldn't distribute outside the premises and breweries couldn't operate a taproom where they sell by the glass. The one thing that happened as a result of the latter that I don't agree with is there's pretty much no such thing as free tours with samples. And all but one of the breweries here in Houston operate a "taproom" that is nothing more than the non climate controlled space the cheaper/free tastings were previously held. And the prices are pretty much what you'd pay in a bar, with AC/Heat. I'm pretty sure Saint Arnold is the only brewery here with a climate controlled taproom.

Holy cow that blows. Didnt realize you had no growlers. And paying for 4 pints as a growler isnt a good solution. Bummer

I'm sure it is.

Saint arnold is the only one in Houston. There are a few in the Austin area that i know are air conditioning. It sucks down here.

Holy cow that blows. Didnt realize you had no growlers. And paying for 4 pints as a growler isnt a good solution. Bummer

Its pretty retarded and people pay it. Sometimes you can get a decent deal but nothing like your getting. When I do get a growler i get something that i cant get in a bottle. The best prices that do growlers in Whole Foods. I might grab a few growlers this weekend.

Not much better out here... We have Growler fills out here, they can be as low as $10, but normally you are looking at closer to $20. Not so good for the consumer, but I can see that working in my favor in the near future... :pipe:

I'm sure it is.

And I thought PA alcohol laws were stupid and outdated. When I moved to Philly from CA 6 years ago I couldn't believe grocery stores can't sell beer, and only state run stores can sell liquor. Having a party meant making 3 stops to 3 different stores to get food, beer, and wine/liquor.

Luckily, in the past few years higher-end grocery stores like Wegmans and Whole Foods found a loop-hole where they can sell single bottles and six-packs of beer by opening a cafe inside the grocery store that has a separate business license to operate as a restaurant. Before that it was either buy an entire case from a beer distributor or pay $15+ for a to-go 6-pack from a deli or bar that carries nothing better than sierra nevada or boston lager.

Not much better out here... We have Growler fills out here, they can be as low as $10, but normally you are looking at closer to $20. Not so good for the consumer, but I can see that working in my favor in the near future... :pipe:

Good grief! Yeah it will be better for you lol. Hell I can get a growler of Dragons Milk for less than $20

$20 for a growler fill? WTF

Can't be as bad as Tired Hands, though.

We just recently started getting growlers in Florida, and in the last few months, liquor stores have started filling them. But, only 32oz and 1 gallon, 64oz growlers are the devils spawn.

Every growler Ive seen from there is a quart. So Id imagine they are pretty high priced.

They have 32 & 64 ounce growlers. You see more 32s because they have the Grolsch style caps and keep longer vs. the screw top caps on the 64s. The beer is pricey though (and now has a one growler per beer per person per day limit.)

They have 32 & 64 ounce growlers. You see more 32s because they have the Grolsch style caps and keep longer vs. the screw top caps on the 64s. The beer is pricey though (and now has a one growler per beer per person per day limit.)

Which is a shame because some of their beer is really good. You been to or going to any of the Pliny the Younger tappings going on around the city, mcbaumannerb?

Which is a shame because some of their beer is really good. You been to or going to any of the Pliny the Younger tappings going on around the city, mcbaumannerb?

My schedule hasn't agreed with any of the tappings to date :( I'm going to try to make one, but not really hopeful with work schedule at this time.

Tired Hands does indeed make some good stuff. I've had three or four of their offerings. But $13-15 for 32 ounces of beer is insane.

I get half-growlers for $5-8 and growlers for $10-15 at my local breweries (NEBCO and Two Roads).

Afternoon Coff. French roast.

Tired Hands does indeed make some good stuff. I've had three or four of their offerings. But $13-15 for 32 ounces of beer is insane.

I get half-growlers for $5-8 and growlers for $10-15 at my local breweries (NEBCO and Two Roads).

Beer prices in general are out of control in Philly. The area gets a pretty solid selection compared to other East Coast markets, but we pay for it. I always forget how expensive beer is here until I go back to San Diego to visit and pay 50% of what I'm used to paying.

The distribution in PA is ridiculous (in a good way). But if anything, that should cause beer prices to fall as there are more beer options (breweries, both in-state and out-of-state) available.

The distribution in PA is ridiculous (in a good way). But if anything, that should cause beer prices to fall as there are more beer options (breweries, both in-state and out-of-state) available.

In theory yes, but between the tiered distribution system in this state and the antics of the PLCB it is not.

In theory yes, but between the tiered distribution system in this state and the antics of the PLCB it is not.

Don't get me started on the distribution systems... Our distributors dictate "allocations" for out of state beer so the special releases we do get are extremely limited and over-priced.

Finishing up the pot of coffee and considering making more...

You would think, but it doesn't work that way here. The beer market is set more by the ridiculous alcohol sales laws and dirty politics that favor the beer brokers more than anything else. The best prices usually come from the few grocery store chains with beer stores/cafes in them...their revenue isn't 100% dependent on beer sales like a bottle shop's or beer distributor's is, so they can afford to sell for a reasonable price. Sucks, but it's just the price you pay to drink good beer around here...or just brew your own.

You would think, but it doesn't work that way here. The beer market is set more by the ridiculous alcohol sales laws and dirty politics that favor the beer brokers more than anything else. The best prices usually come from the few grocery store chains with beer stores/cafes in them...their revenue isn't 100% dependent on beer sales like a bottle shop's or beer distributor's is, so they can afford to sell for a reasonable price. Sucks, but it's just the price you pay to drink good beer around here.

Isn't there a max purchase of 196oz per transaction or something like that in the grocery stores?

Not that any grocery stores in my area sell beer. If I want to buy beer in my area I have to buy it by the case from a "distributor."

Isn't there a max purchase of 196oz per transaction or something like that in the grocery stores?

Not that any grocery stores in my area sell beer. If I want to buy beer in my area I have to buy it by the case from a "distributor."

That's just ludicrous

That is average prices here and some get in the twenties for a 32oz because they are charging bar prices. There have been a few times for $6-9 range but thats for normal stuff i can get anywhere. hope it will change soon or i'm just going to stop getting growlers outside brew pub

Somebody will have beer mail very soon :) ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394568327.751988.jpg

Yeah, that's true because they have to abide by the limits of to-go beer sales set on bars and restaurants since that is how that portion of the store is set up. You can go to your car and walk right back in for another 196oz, though.

192 ounce limit at taverns/bottle shops. But the good news is, you can carry that purchase out to your car then come back in and buy another 192 ounces. :drunk:

One of the most asinine laws out there, and the grocery stores have it enforced in the register so the cashier can't even say - oh, it's 192 1/2 ounces - that's close enough. You have to set one aside.

Me? :D

Drinking my swill. Honestly, it's not bad but it's a slow going keg. I should have bottled it.

Anyone know if Event Horizon by Olde Hickory is considered a "whale" beer?

If you think its a whale then its a whale. My opinion. not an impossible to get but i'm sure somewhat difficult

Back