When to add grains?? Newb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
So I have done some different extract kits with specialty grains and I have a question.

Are you supposed to have the grains in the water while getting to temp and then hold for 20 min.

Or are you suppose to bring the water to temp, then add the grains and hold for 20 min.

Also with the specialty grain additions, do you need to sparge with 175 degree water at the end.

Thank for the help.

Cheers:mug:

If steeping, I have added the grains to lukewarm water and raised the temp up and held for about 15 minutes. Then remove grains and add extract and boil.

Be careful when raising the water temp while you have the grains in there. There is a potential to scorch the grains resting on the bottom of your pot. If you can tie off the grain bag so it does not rest on the bottom, then you are more safe to heat them up along with the water. If not, I'd get my water to temperature, then add the grains.

If the grains aren't going to be touching the bottom like bach said...Then it doesn't really matter how you choose to do it. If you put it in cold, you will get more time steeping than the 20 minutes, many would argue that's a good thing, getting more of the steeping goodness out of the grain.

Ok, so it can be done either way. I just didn't know if I would be releasing certain unfermentables from the grain that would cause off flavors by bringing it up to temp along with the water????

Thanks

Revvy, did you have a rare slip up here?? :p

Did you mean 170 degrees? Perhaps you work in centigrade! :mug:

To the OP, do pay attention to this scorching issue. I've burned through the bottom of a grain bag myself.

Lol, you're right I meant 170.....You know I hate these Dell mini keyboards I have big ass hands and make so many f-ups on these things.

Back