Funky Roselare Pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeraroundtown

Reaction score
Ok, so my Roselare flanders was going great, it is about 4-5 months into its aging and was forming a crusty white pellicle on top. We had a heat wave here and my attic got up in the 100s for a couple days and now the pellicle has these big black spots that kinda look like tar taking over the top of the beer. The spots are pretty big, a couple inches across and flat.

Anyone experience this before? Know what this is?

Is this a mold? should I rack the beer from under it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, not sure if the embedded picture will work but the link should, here is the pellicle.

006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sundowner

Yah, your picture looks like my other Roselare blend. I'll try to take a better picture today, but the attic is pretty dark. Can you see what I mean about flat black masses in there though?

Yeah I see them but not clearly. I'm not sure what to make of it. Hopefully, it will be ok. I wouldn't work up a worry just yet. If it's been in there for 5 months, I would consider racking from underneath and see what happens.

Back