Goats Milk vs. Cow Milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I've never drank goats milk before go figure.

What is the taste like compared to cow's milk?

creamy, and it's good for you.

I used to have 3 goats, it was all I could do to stop myself drinking straight from the tap! You really should try goat's milk.

Similar butter fat levels; rich, creamy and delicious.

I just found a source for raw goat's milk a few miles from here. :mug:

goats milk has a stronger (how can I describe it) goaty (??) taste that really comes through in the cheese. People either love it or hate it - most people who like to eat different cheeses generally love it. Cow's milk is more neutral tasting.

Cows milk being the control I find Goat has a much more herbal and grassy taste creamminess seems equal to me. Goat milk makes an awesome yogurt you should give it a shot as well as the milk..

I grew up on the stuff, and have milked more than my share of goats over my lifetime. Like previously said, the fat levels are similar to raw cow's milk. Flavor depends a lot on the feed. Our goats were pastured on an alfalfa field, and they were fed plenty of 4-way grain mix, so the flavor was generally pretty sweet.

It's good stuff, if you can find it. We also put some through a cream separator and made our own butter and chèvre. Dee-licious!

Edited to add: If there are bucks nearby, the flavor can be a little gamey, if you're not used to it. It's kind of like the difference between farm-raised game and wild game.

My oldest son had a sensitivity/allergy to cow's milk last year and we had to remove all cow's dairy products from his diet. We tried soy, almond and even hemp milk products, but he hated all of them. He's only 4, and he knows what he likes. Anyways, after consulting with his Dr. we were told that goat or sheep milk should be fine. We found a really tasty goat milk cheese at Costco called Rosey Goat, that was coated in rosemary. The problem was that even at Costco the stuff was $13 per lb. Well, the boy loved it, and I found it a bit "gamey" tasting at first but I really grew to like the stuff a lot. There's definitely a twang to goat's milk products, but once you acquire a taste for it you're either going to really hate it or love it. We also started buying Spanish sheep's milk cheese called Manchego. It's fantastic. Got a nice sharp bite, like a natural cheddar, followed by a much mellower aftertaste that might be comparable to a good Monterey Jack, or Fontina. It's a firm cheese, but it melts really well and I can highly recommend it! It's also available at Costco, among other places.

goats milk has a stronger (how can I describe it) goaty (??) taste that really comes through in the cheese. People either love it or hate it - most people who like to eat different cheeses generally love it. Cow's milk is more neutral tasting.

True, the cheese is tangier. But the fresh milk has almost no flavor at all. I'm NOT a milk drinker (hate the stuff) but I can drink goat's milk. It's like creamy, rich, nothing. No strong smell or flavor.

The cheese, though, definitely has a goat cheese tang. If you've ever had chevre, that's the flavor you get in the cheese. Not in mozzarella, though. It tastes like the fresh mozzerella you buy. I think that the flavor of the lipase is what comes through, more so than the goaty tang.

Well, I suppose it might depend on where the goats milk came from, but, as a kid, my parents decided to start milking goats and I had goats milk at a few other places and I have to say, it pretty much ruined any goat milk product, including cheese, for me.

I found it to be pretty gamey and I taste that flavor in every goat cheese I've ever tried. Every once in a great while I have a small amount of goat cheese melted on pizza and can understand the appeal, but, after a few minutes of enjoying it, I start thinking about that taste when I was a kid and just can't eat the stuff! :(

Latest posts

Back