Blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just added some nutrient to the meade I made last weekend... and it went crazy with foam. :)

not really a problem as I sat it on a towel first... but Ive never seen one foam over before :)

This is one the reasons I ferment in plastic. No chance of a blow off event! All those solids particles give CO2 bubbles a chance to foam and before you know it... one volcanic meadsplosion.

Do you mean you ferment in open top buckets? Because why wouldn't this have occurred in a better bottle?

No just a regular old, plastic fermenter with lid.

The shape of the carboy forces liquids into an increasingly small area as it approaches the top and this causes the fluid to accelerate in the upward direction and a meadsplosion results! :)

Ever boiled a starter in an Erlenmeyer flask? Total pain and can boil over very unpredictably due to it's shape.

Gotcha, thought you just meant there was a benefit to plastic over glass carboys. I assumed you were using an open top fermenter, but was just checking.

he's kinda right - I caught a hell of a blast from my Apple Blueberry Monster on day three when i found the carboy's airlock full of goo - when i pulled it the release of pressure up the narrow neck resulted in a facefull of blueberry skins and fermented applejuice. it was quite a mess...

Back