Can WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale Yeast) be used for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharres

Reaction score
So I'm at my LHBS today and I'm talking to the guys there about making EdWort's AW and they recommended I go with the WLP028 yeast instead of the Montrachet yeast saying that the Edinburgh yeast won't be quite as dry and will leave a bit more of the full flavor. Has anyone tried this? I've searched far and wide and not found anyone who has said anything about using this yeast for a cider.

I was actually planning on doing a cider with this yeast last weekend (to go along with a Scottish 80/- I was brewing) but the LHBS was all out and I ended up using WLP023 (Burton ale yeast) instead. I'd say go for it, but cut down the Sugar a bit, I actually don't use any sugar in my cider, as it retains some more appleyness like that (IMHO). I've gotten into the habit of making up a batch of cider along with my brewday using the same yeast. So far I've used WLP 550, 400, 023, 775, 720, Notty, S-04 and S-05. they all work well, just each a bit different.

Ok, so my LHBS guy isn't insane. :)

How does the flavor differ with the ale yeast? Also, a new recipe I found calls for 2lbs of corn sugar, 2lbs of brown sugar and 2 lbs of honey (I figured that if I was going to change the yeast, I may as well go for something more of a cider than the AW recipe).

You mention cutting down the sugar if I'm going to use WLP028. Can you recommend what amounts I should use for a 5 gal batch? I do want a higher ABV, but at the same time I don't want to destroy the apple flavor.

Finally, if I wanted to make this a spiced cider, is it just as easy as adding the spicing (i.e., cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice)? If so, I'm guessing smaller amounts, but any recommendations on specifics?

I actually like my cider with no added sugar, comes up at about 7% or so, takes less aging, etc. But if you really want it with a higher ABV and don't want to get rid of the apple flavor, go ahead and add 1 can of apple concentrate per gallon to the juice, and maybe a little corn sugar, but the ale yeast is only really good to 10%, if you're going higher than that, use a wine yeast like cote de blancs, D47, etc. YMMV.

Ok, so then all the extra sugars wouldn't have done much good anyhow, considering the limitations of the yeast. If the juice itself will come out about 7%, then I'm good in that range.

You mention that the aging doesn't take as long without all the extra sugar. What is your average time frame for a cider without extra sugars?

Ok, so then all the extra sugars wouldn't have done much good anyhow, considering the limitations of the yeast. If the juice itself will come out about 7%, then I'm good in that range.

You mention that the aging doesn't take as long without all the extra sugar. What is your average time frame for a cider without extra sugars?

For ale yeasts, I wait at least 4 months from pitching before I will start testing bottles, although some people like it a bit earlier (3 months) the more time you give it though, the better the end result is. 6 months from pitching seems to be about the sweet spot for me, as most of the flavors have smoothed out, but it still seems "fresh"

For ale yeasts, I wait at least 4 months from pitching before I will start testing bottles, although some people like it a bit earlier (3 months) the more time you give it though, the better the end result is. 6 months from pitching seems to be about the sweet spot for me, as most of the flavors have smoothed out, but it still seems "fresh"

What about with other types of yeast?

Cool, thank you so much for all the good info.

So here is what I'm thinking;

5 gallons of apple juice
2 cans of concentrate (to help retain the apple flavor)
WLP028 Yeast
2 Cinnamon sticks (to add a touch of spice)

What do you think?

Yeah, that is a good point. I'm in a winter/holiday mindset and spiced sider sounds good, but by the time this stuff is ready it will be close to summer and may not go over as well then.

Thanks again for all the good info.

Latest posts

Back