Storage Wars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't know this? The show is staged. It was rumored before he got fired and he confirmed it after.

I neither care about, nor watch, it enough for it to matter. I'm a bit surprised it's lasted this long. Especially since much better tv shows have been cancelled faster.

You didn't know this? The show is staged. It was rumored before he got fired and he confirmed it after.

As much as I know much of these shows are scripted (some of them painfully so), I wouldn't go so far as to call this "confirmation" of anything. Disgruntled ex-employees are hardly the best source of truth to begin with, but after reading his claims just now, some of them jump out at me as being highly doubtful.

1) He was fired because he told producers he was uncomfortable with the staging and that it might possibly be illegal. For starters, having seen the guy's personality, it seems beyond unlikely that he was the one to suddenly develop a conscience. But even harder to believe is that this is why he was fired. Firing a guy in that position *guarantees* that he will go public... if you're running a scam like this, firing him is the last thing you'd do.

2) The producers paid for the units for buyers who couldn't afford them, but not successful ones like him. This just reeks of the bull**** of an egomaniac (which he is). And again, such unfair would only ensure that those not getting the same deal would not go public. It's a very successful show, and it makes no sense for them to pay for some of the units but not all of them. Even paying for every single unit of every episode wouldn't be that significant a cost... why would they cut such small corners with "some" units when the likely cost is disgruntled employees who'll blow the whistle? Any half-intelligent person could see that the bit of money the might be saving is not at all worth it.

3) Producers paid for plastic surgery for one of the female stars, to increase the sex appeal. Really? If it was entirely staged, why wouldn't they just hire someone better looking in the first place.

Again, all this sounds like the accusations of an egomaniac who thinks everybody is against him, despite the fact that he is a perfect individual who can do no wrong. Like I said, I know these shows are often scripted, but I'm not ready to accept the accusations of a narcissistic, disgruntled former employee - that it is staged to such a large and complete degree - as "confirmation" just yet. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.

I thought it was real at first and enjoyed the show, but later on it just seemed too good to be true. I recall in one episode Darrell wins a crappy storage shed with a bunch of junk. As he is going through it, he finds a terrible painting. He then somehow knows to take the painting out of the frame and finds some $300+ taped to the back of the painting. I call BS on that... Stopped watching the show after that, but I did always enjoy watching Barry's shenanigans.

Makes one wonder about some units that are full of junk and and behold the wow factor.....a $10,000 Rolex or that rare art piece

I don't know. I think Brandi is kind of hot, even though she was supposedly a former stripper. Maybe the female cast member that supposedly got some cosmetic surgery is her and Jared wanted mama to have a nice new pair of happy sacks to remind him of the good young days?

I don't watch any TV for the reality factor. It either entertains me, or it doesn't.

Hell, the news is even someone's twist on what's real!

Take it or leave it, but don't believe it.

(hey, that rhymes :cross:)

I know her type. She subconsciously enjoys the banter and couldn't live with someone that didn't have his attitude. Girls like Bad Boys, as my wife says.

At any rate, I could put up with her attitude for at least a little while.

I met a woman at a bar once who said she liked bad boys. So, I played keep-away with her hat, and hid her mittens.

Yeah, I'll fess up, I am a Storage Wars addict. We watched our first episode in Arizona, drinking a couple beers in the hotel room before bed & hitting the road towards the next state. I was hooked at first watch. We stayed up until 2am watching episodes, then watched a whole bunch more of it at our cabin once we got to Colorado. This makes me a very lame person. I am okay with that.

Barry and Jared/Brandi are by far my favorite characters.

I love to hate Hester, but on some level, I'm sad to see him go, just because he's such an awesome antagonist. And I love to make fun of Darrell, because, well, why not. "That's like a $17.25 bill right there!"

The other chubby yahoo that they just recently introduced is kind of irritating. Nobody wants to hear you umpire, Mr. Umpire.

Yeah... Anyone with half a brain would have cleared out anything of value from the storage unit before abandoning it. Unless they died or something. :eek: :cross:

The newest thing to do is to clean out the valuables, salt the locker with empty boxes of high end electronics, an old jewelry box, maybe a broken safe. Then let it go to auction. If some fool overbids then after storage fees and costs are paid the overpayment goes to the person that rented the locker.

The newest thing to do is to clean out the valuables, salt the locker with empty boxes of high end electronics, an old jewelry box, maybe a broken safe. Then let it go to auction. If some fool overbids then after storage fees and costs are paid the overpayment goes to the person that rented the locker.

Makes me glad I'm not watching it anymore. I'd rather watch Pawn Stars... :D I do have to wonder about that one at times though... Are people really so ignorant that they think what the 'expert' told them the retail value is, is what they should get for the item? Seriously. Unless you're making a private sale, you don't get actual item value. You're lucky to get more than 1/2 what the store will sell the item for. Unless they know (without a doubt) that the item will sell fast. As in no more than a week and it's gone.

I can't decide if I like Barry much or not. He seems like a fake rock party dude from teh 80's who never grew out of it and has a fetish for old "hip" party stuff.

And his gloves are just sad.

I can't decide if I like Barry much or not. He seems like a fake rock party dude from teh 80's who never grew out of it and has a fetish for old "hip" party stuff.

And his gloves are just sad.

It also seems like he's only looking for that one really sweet item from a storage unit. Where everyone else is looking at selling as much from the unit as they can. More often than not, Barry is at the bottom of the list for what they made on an unit.

I like the other show where they follow two guys around that buy units and make decent money on what's in them. Forget what it's called, but one of them is a big guy (bald) and the other is more average/thin build. Almost like Abbot and Costello. :D

It also seems like he's only looking for that one really sweet item from a storage unit. Where everyone else is looking at selling as much from the unit as they can. More often than not, Barry is at the bottom of the list for what they made on an unit.

I like the other show where they follow two guys around that buy units and make decent money on what's in them. Forget what it's called, but one of them is a big guy (bald) and the other is more average/thin build. Almost like Abbot and Costello. :D

Yeah. Bary doesn't want to work to resell his stuff. He is into collectibles, not turnover.

I like American pickers too. Get to see a lot of cool old stuff without the drama. But no brandi... :(

All of those shoes are rigged.

Storage wars probably start with real lockers, but the producers then dope them with good stuff.

American Pickers probably is all real, but they would have assistant producers screen the places for good finds first.

Amish mafia....all fake.

il_fullxfull.206080740.jpg

Danielle from American Pickers...

Talking about the woman that's in the office finding the yahoo's their leads. Not talking about Storage Wars here, but American Pickers...

OH... I might have seen her on the show once before. I think they called her on the phone from the field. She wasn't in the last episode I saw.

All of those shoes are rigged.

Storage wars probably start with real lockers, but the producers then dope them with good stuff.

American Pickers probably is all real, but they would have assistant producers screen the places for good finds first.

Amish mafia....all fake.

I'm more inclined to think that American Pickers is more along the lines of Deadliest Catch... Hundreds of hours of tape is whittled down to an one hour episode. We don't see all the bad trips they make, just the good ones. Otherwise, it would make for a pretty boring show. :D

I watch some of these types of shows like storage wars, pawn stars, American pickers and they're interesting. What I hate is all the extra scripted "reality" crap they add. I like seeing the rare and interesting things that are found and the stories behind them and the value, but everything past that on the show is useless as far as I'm concerned.

I'm more inclined to think that American Pickers is more along the lines of Deadliest Catch... Hundreds of hours of tape is whittled down to an one hour episode. We don't see all the bad trips they make, just the good ones. Otherwise, it would make for a pretty boring show. :D

I think this is probably the case, I know someone who had them show up at his place (he restores old HD's with original parts) and he told them if there was something specific they were looking for he would be happy to talk to them, but they were not wandering around in his shop, trailers etc looking for bargains.

He has since done some buying and selling of individual items with them, but they don't get access to his goodie pile. The above was the impression he has of how the show works.

Back