Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rocketman-

I know you are doing a lot of work troubleshooting various things.

I just want to say THANKYOU!!!!!

I am running a brewday tomorrow totally off a single software package that I am agreeing with and liking and know how to tweak. I just exported text to clipboard and it included all the instructions. YOU NAILED IT!

Thanks for working with all of us. I love what you have created/compiled.

You have done a great service to my brewery.

THANKYOU!

rocketman-

I know you are doing a lot of work troubleshooting various things.

I just want to say THANKYOU!!!!!

I am running a brewday tomorrow totally off a single software package that I am agreeing with and liking and know how to tweak. I just exported text to clipboard and it included all the instructions. YOU NAILED IT!

Thanks for working with all of us. I love what you have created/compiled.

You have done a great service to my brewery.

THANKYOU!

No problem man. I'm glad you guys are my testbed so to speak. As long as you keep up with the suggestions and bug reports, it can only get better.

Thanks for the post! My Kubuntu computer will appreciate some QT and open-source software.

Beer and Open Source, life can't get any better.

How about a notes section for each recipe. I like to track changes, freak occurences etc.

It nailed all my numbers on brewday, with one exception. I could not see where to adjust for my grain (which was at 37, from the shop storage) so I had to up the mash temp a little.

This will be great when I jump to a netbook too...

How about a notes section for each recipe. I like to track changes, freak occurences etc.

I hear ya.

It nailed all my numbers on brewday, with one exception. I could not see where to adjust for my grain (which was at 37, from the shop storage) so I had to up the mash temp a little.

Awesome. The grain temp can be changed in the mash tab. Click "Edit Mash" and then change "Initial grain temp."

I was going to try this out on my first Ag batch :ban:

But, does this bug effect any of the calcs for anything?

It can throw your mash temps by a degree or two. If you're in english mode, and you want your specific heat to be 0.300, enter in 0.300*2.2=0.660, and when you save it, it will divide by 2.2, giving you the correct answer. The bug is that it thinks you're entering in lbs (if you're in US mode), and tries to convert to kg, so it divides by 2.2.

I really want to try your software. I downloaded it and the Qt library (4.5). I run Mac OS 10.6. Qt would not install, and your stuff won't run without it. Any suggestions?

Thanks RocketMan!

One more question. If you're entering a hop for dry hopping, what are you supposed to enter for a time? Zero? What if you want to dry hop for "X" amount of days and then remove?

What happened (be specific)?

I followed your link to Qt4.5. It was during the Validating Packages that it errored out:
Pic11.jpg

Then the error:
Pic21.jpg

When I clicked the button to show error, nothing showed.

Of course you are familiar with the following error from BrewTarget since no library was loaded:

Process: Brewtarget [10540]
<<stuff snipped>>
Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: QtWebKit.framework/Versions/4/QtWebKit
Referenced from: /Users/<<snipped>>/Downloads/Brewtarget.app/Contents/MacOS/Brewtarget
Reason: image not found

Model: MacBook4,1, BootROM MB41.00C1.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB, SMC 1.31f0
<<stuff snipped>>

Can you help?

where can i dl phonon ? im trying to put the program which i use on my desktop (windows) on my linux (an ubuntu build) netbook for brew day... have had no luck so far trying to find it. Am I just impaired?

might be Windows 7 though

Maybe you could try running that script in compatibility mode (just guessing here)?

where can i dl phonon

It should already come installed on your ubuntu machine, but if not, I think the following will work. In a terminal window, type the following:

Code:
sudo aptitude install phonon phonon-backend-xine

Did it complain about phonon or something?

I was running version 1.1 with no problem on my Ubuntu 9.10 install.

I downloaded the most recent .deb package and it installed with no problem.

When I try to enter a new recipe, it crashes and I get a 'segmentation fault'.

I am using QT 4.5.3.

Any ideas?

Maybe I should try compiling the source?

I was running version 1.1 with no problem on my Ubuntu 9.10 install.

I downloaded the most recent .deb package and it installed with no problem.

When I try to enter a new recipe, it crashes and I get a 'segmentation fault'.

I am using QT 4.5.3.

Any ideas?

Maybe I should try compiling the source?

There is another person who told me they're having the same issue. Would you post step by step what you do to crash it? Do you get any messages about missing files as well?

well the get seemed to work, but when i did it i still get the error trying to install I feel like a dope

"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libphonon4 (>> 4:4.3.1)"

There is another person who told me they're having the same issue. Would you post step by step what you do to crash it? Do you get any messages about missing files as well?

I found the problem.:)

I was missing database.xml in my .config/brewtarget directory. I found it in /usr/share/brewtarget. I restored database from this directory and I am no longer crashing.

I posted screenshots of the crashing and resolution for reference.

http://photos.chadtown.com/index.php?album=Misc.%2Fonline_postings%2Fbrewtarget

Thanks.

Chad

I just downloaded this and I've been playing around with it. I've come across a few problems. I'm running Vista.

Some of the style names have a '?' replacing a letter:
Bi?re de Garde
K?lsh
D?sseldorf Altbier

I can't get sound with the timer but you've already said that is yet to come for Windows.

I followed the walkthrough and I'm having a problem with the mash temps. I see someone else had the same problem and they said it was operator error. Well, what could I be doing then?
Enter 121 -> get 134.058 F
121 F -> 249.8 F
121F -> 32 F

After restarting the program, I can't get back to the Mash Wizard. The program crashes on me.

could someone explain what is the mass of the mash tun important for?

to know how much heat it will take to heat up the mash tun from the strick water

I still don't get this. Do I just have to weigh my empty picnic cooler that I use for mash/sparge?

I have a crash every time I click on mash wizard. this drives me crazy...

what to do?

I runned it on xp and win 7 - always the same issue....

it crashes when I click on mash wizard....

I brewed with this on the weekend. I heated up my cooler MLT with hot water before I added the grains. My mash temps came in about 3 degrees higher than anticipated. I assuming that the strike water temperture takes into account that the temp of the MLT is the same as the grain? Therefore, not heating up the MLT is the way to go?

Rocketman, I came up short on my pre-boil volume in the kettle (about .75 gallons). What is the grain absorption ratio that you're using and can that be modified in any way?

Other then that, I love what you've done! Keep up the good work.

That's what I did (weighed my cooler-about 15 lbs). Not sure if it is indeed correct but I assumed it was. Not sure if it has been noticed or mentioned but every time I go into my equipment that I set up, it always divides the Specific heat by .22 Even without clicking on the box.

All of these people with MAC problems makes me glad I'm a PC :)

Question, just finished my 1st AG using this software. To calculate efficiency, do I use the OG or the Boil SG? I assume I take my gravity reading pre-boil and divide it by one of those-correct? If I measured, 1.036 (OG is 1.058 and Boil SG is 1.045) I could potentially have an efficiency of (36/58) 62% or (36/45) 80% respectfully-right?

is there a reason you're not recording the dry yield fine grain number in your fermentables database?

i'm trying to move some grains in from beersmith and i've figured out how to get the yield from the SG used in beersmith, but do i need to record the dry yield fine grain at all?

thanks!

I followed the walkthrough and I'm having a problem with the mash temps. I see someone else had the same problem and they said it was operator error. Well, what could I be doing then?

It looks like to me you are entering little "f" for Fahrenheit. Capital "F" is the right symbol, so you need to enter "121 F".

I can't figure out why this would happen, and I can't reproduce it. I'll keep trying though.

I brewed with this on the weekend. I heated up my cooler MLT with hot water before I added the grains. My mash temps came in about 3 degrees higher than anticipated. I assuming that the strike water temperture takes into account that the temp of the MLT is the same as the grain? Therefore, not heating up the MLT is the way to go?

There is a parameter for the mash called "Initial Tun Temp" in the mash tab when you click "Edit Mash." You should set this to the appropriate temperature to get accurate results.

Question, just finished my 1st AG using this software. To calculate efficiency, do I use the OG or the Boil SG? I assume I take my gravity reading pre-boil and divide it by one of those-correct? If I measured, 1.036 (OG is 1.058 and Boil SG is 1.045) I could potentially have an efficiency of (36/58) 62% or (36/45) 80% respectfully-right?

If you want to measure your efficiency, calculate total points. If you measure 6 gal and 40 points at the start of the boil, you have 6*40 = 240 total points. If you set your efficiency to 100% in brewtarget, and it says your boil sg should be 50 points and 5.75 gal boil volume, that should be 287.5 total points. So 240/287.5 = 83%. This would be your efficiency going into the boil. You can do the same at the end of the process when everything's in the fermenter, and this would be your overall efficiency.

is there a reason you're not recording the dry yield fine grain number in your fermentables database

The yield as given is fine grain. The "Coarse/Fine Diff" field represents how much the yield goes down for a coarse grind.

I have a crash every time I click on mash wizard. this drives me crazy...

what to do?

I runned it on xp and win 7 - always the same issue....

I figured it out - it crashes only when I have units set to metric. When I switch to US traditional it doesn't crash, I can click on mash wizard.

I think it's a bug that should be corrected.

Also, when it is set to metric units, you have qt/lb window and then it crashes, which means that you probably should add l/kg mash thickness...

Thankyou for this great piece of software:mug:

Looks quite nice! I've only played with it a bit but have a question that I couldn't figure out: how do you set it up to do extract/steeping or partial mash brewing, esp. where you are doing partial boils?

Thanks!

If you want to measure your efficiency, calculate total points. If you measure 6 gal and 40 points at the start of the boil, you have 6*40 = 240 total points. If you set your efficiency to 100% in brewtarget, and it says your boil sg should be 50 points and 5.75 gal boil volume, that should be 287.5 total points. So 240/287.5 = 83%. This would be your efficiency going into the boil. You can do the same at the end of the process when everything's in the fermenter, and this would be your overall efficiency.

OK, I get that, thanks. But no one ever gets 100% eff. So what efficiency number should I use? Or why would I want anything less than 100?

I figured on expecting a relatively low efficiency for my 1st run with all new equipment so I set it to 65 until I could figure out what my true efficiency is. Then I was going to set it to that.

Thanks for the great software and putting up with all the questions :mug: It's got to be just as annoying as fixing all the "bugs" after another release :D

Looks quite nice! I've only played with it a bit but have a question that I couldn't figure out: how do you set it up to do extract/steeping or partial mash brewing, esp. where you are doing partial boils?

Thanks!

For partial mash, just check the check boxes of the grains you want to mash in the "Mashed" column. I don't really have anything set up for steeping yet, but for those grains, just reduce the yield by about half for now.

OK, I get that, thanks. But no one ever gets 100% eff. So what efficiency number should I use? Or why would I want anything less than 100?

I just meant for you to set it temporarily to 100% so that you're comparing your actual points with the maximum possible. In other words, the 83% figure I calculated above means 83% of 100% efficiency. I would definitely set your efficiency to something like 60% if you're just starting out. If it turns out that you get more than that, you can always dilute your wort to hit your OG. My first AG was terrible...I got something like 49%!

Thanks for the great software and putting up with all the questions It's got to be just as annoying as fixing all the "bugs" after another release.

Nah, half of the process of developing software is fixing stuff and accepting criticism.

Back