Oak in a Randall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
Everything I've had in a randall has been delicious. From hops, to coffee, to cookies, to donuts. But I wonder how well oak aroma and flavor would be extracted in one.

It would be cool to have the ability to oak whatever beer you wanted, a few pints at a time, instead of all of or half of the whole batch.

Has anyone ever done this? And if so, how did it turn out?

I believe DFH has done this. In my experience it takes time to extract the complexities from the oak rather than just the lumber flavor. You can play around with oak teas as well, steep some oak in hot water and add that to you beer (although it has the same issue in my experience).

That's why I was asking. Oak seems to need time to extract flavors, but I've been extremely impressed with everything I've had through a randall, so it wouldn't shock me if it actually worked.

DFH has done it? Do you know if they had success?

No idea, it was at the Extreme Beer Fest last year: "Burton Baton Meets Randall w/ Wood Chips -A blend of oak-aged English strong ale and 90 Min IPA, poured thru Randall the Enamel Animal packed w/ wood chips; 9.0%"

Hm, I just looked up as much info on that as I could and there's nothing saying how well it worked. I'm just going to do it, lol. Hopefully this beer takes on some oak quality. I'm worried about it, only because it's a very low alcohol beer that I plan on running it over. Since alcohol is such a great extractant, I'm worried that it wont do the trick.

Back