Using Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere but I didn't see an answer after the first 4 or 5 threads I tried reading.

So I am planning on using some liquid yeast for a brew. I looked at the mr. malty pitching rate calculator to determine the size starter that I need.

Simple enough, input gravity and volume info and it tells you how many liters of starter you should make.

Ok so I need a 2-liter starter. What gravity should this 2-liter starter be? How much DME do i need to use to get my 2-liter starter to this gravity?

Why doesn't mr malty also tell me these things?

You want your starter to be around 1.035-1.04 your not making beer you are just trying to grow yeast. I use the metric system here and it is real easy. For every 100 ml of water add 10 grams of DME so 2000 ml would need 200 grams of DME.

Yeah, use the 10 grams per 100 ml rule of thumb and you're golden. That'll give you, if I remember, a starter of about 1.036.

Latest posts

Back