Salt??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I was looking at some recipes of winning brews and noticed a few had added salt to the recipes. Not much 1/8tsp or 2grams.

What would this do????

Sodium enhances flavor, as long as it's not over the top, at which point it will taste salty. I think there's mention of its use in How to Brew - By John Palmer in the water chemistry section.

I guess it depends on the recipe/beer style, but in most cases it would be based on water profile. I add a small amount (1/8 tsp) of NaCl along with Gypsum to my boil for certain beers in which I want to bring out the hop bitterness/flavor a little. But it is simply compensating for the fact that I have very soft (well) water with low mineral content. If I had medium/hard water, I wouldn't add anything. If you do decide to add salt, it needs to be non-iodized. Regular table salt is iodized and some salts have anti-caking agents added. I use canning salt which is just NaCl.

Latest posts

Back