Sparge/Vorlauf/Tanin extraction question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergutbrew

Reaction score
During my first all grain brew, I noticed that the first/second runnings never really ran clear, meaning, I could still see little grain particles coming through, but never noticed any big bits of grain. My main question is, what is the nominal amount of slits or holes in a CPVC or Copper mash tun pickup?
Second, if I did suck some grain into my wort, which would lead to extracting tanins, can someone describe the taste?

Example of mash tun pickup: ( Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - Homebrew )
Since then I have replace the slits for 1/32 holes.

I use slits like yours (mine are cut with a jig saw and are copper) and it generally clears after 2-3 quarts but I still get a little bit of particles coming through. I haven't noticed any astringency yet in my beers that were brewed with the same manifold (that's 20 or so batches).

There will always be small amounts of grain i your brew but only when alot gets in will you taste it. Ive had some with copious amounts of grain which got through at the beginning of my brewing progression and i still havent had astringent beer. When you vorlauf, let it keep running. I moved to a gallon growler and i will fill it to the top before starting my first runnings. That way you can recirculate a few gallons if you want to get it much more clear. Just remeber when you dump it back in, pour onto tinfoil or a plate or even a pie tin so it doesnt drill back through the grain bed. That should solve your problems

Good to know. I noticed a little bit of whacky flavor, but then again the beer was only brewed a little over three weeks ago ( one week in the keg), I need a little more patience before I jump to conclusions.
Thanks

Second, if I did suck some grain into my wort, which would lead to extracting tanins, can someone describe the taste?

I'm not going to try an describe the taste, but I can give you an example.

Take a couple tea bags of black tea. Put them in two cups, add boiling water, and stir. Remove the tea bag from cup 1 after about 15 seconds. Leave the tea bag in cup 2 for 10 minutes, then remove it. Then compare the taste of the two cups.
Cup # 2 will have extracted much more tannins than cup # 1. That should give you a good idea of what tannins taste like.

-a.

Back