Nugget Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
WTF do I do with these? I orded Summits from FH and they ended up never sending me the Summits- When I got a hold of them they had some issue and said they could sub the summit that they were now out of for nugget.

What good nugget recipies are out there?

You are going to use them mainly as a bittering hop. You could probably use them in just about any American style beer. A source I just read catagoriezes them as herbal and a little spicy.

+1 on bittering - I used them for a pale ale bittering and it turned out great. After smelling them and thinking about it - I wish I kept a little aside and did some aroma/flavor additions with them.

:off: In fact, my brother just moved back up from Missouri and I had him over for a brew day and was showing him ingredients and he liked the aroma from the Nugget better than the Willamette.

Maybe since finding Summits right now is damn near impossible I will use Nuggets for my Denali IPA in the recipie section

I just brewed an all-Nugget PA/APA weekend before last. I bought a pound of them, and was using so little for bittering hops, I thought I'd just see what else they could do. The gravity sample tasted great after a week -- fairly spicy, just as described. I'll probably do a little dry-hopping with them, too, just for grins. Will report back when done.

I had a buddy buy like 10 oz. of nugget for 10 bucks at a small LHBS, we figure they were a couple years old....smell like doo doo. Anyway, use for bittering in just about anything, so long as your boil the heck out of em.

Figure out the clone for this:
TroegsNuggetNectar.jpg

Then post the recipe

My almost all nugget IPA is AMAZING! I actually fudged the recipe a bit because I wanted something with a bit more body and a little more color, so it turned into more of an American Amber. I used Nugget for bittering, flavor and aroma, and dry-hopped with half Nugget and half Cascade. It's by far my favorite beer I've made to date, and a definite brew-over.

Late addition nugget hops and dry hopping are crazy good.

The beer will need a bit more time to mellow because of the upfront spiciness, but once it mellows out (an extra 3-4 weeks more than normal), the beer aroma and flavor is amazing.

Here is my IIPA partial mash recipe using 3 oz of nugget. Around 100IBU

7# Extra Pale LME

3# 6-Row
1# Golden Naked Oats
1# Caravienne
1# Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory Malt

1/2 tsp Irish Moss

1 oz Centenial hops - 60 min
1 oz Nugget hops - 60 min
1 oz Centenial hops - 45 min
1 oz Nugget hops - 30 min