Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp3qd

Reaction score
Never posted, please be kind. I've always wanted to make a Belgian IPA. Nothing about this is particularly Belgian except the yeast and candi sugar, but i already have the hops and I want something fruity, funky, bright, and boozy. Here's the recipe. Its not 5 gal because I like just having a case and a tester 6 pack and would rather brew tons of batches back to back without being saddled with an inordinate amount of beer.

Batch size: 3.5 gal

Grain bill:
Pilsner DME - 3 lbs
Vienna Malt - 2 lbs
Pilsner Malt - 1 lb
White Wheat - 1 lb
Clear Candi Sugar - 1 lb

Hops:
Pacific Jade - 0.25 oz - 60 min
Smaragd - 0.25 oz - 30 min
Nelson Sauvin - 0.25 oz - 20 min
Pacific Jade - 0.25 oz - 10 min
Smaragd - 0.25 oz - 5 min
Nelson Sauvin - 0.25 oz - 1 min

Dry Hop:
Nelson Sauvin - 0.5 oz - 14 days
Pacific Jade - 0.5 oz - 14 days
Smaragd - 0.5 oz - 14 days

Yeast:
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Stats:
ABV - 7.6%
IBU - 42.8
OG (predicted) - 1.077
FG (predicted) - 1.020
SRM - 5 degrees

The last 7 batches I have done have attenuated well beyond the predicted FG, and I am hoping this one will do the same. I want something somewhat dry to bring out the hops, but I dont want to pucker up due to bitterness. I am hoping to let this ferment for 4ish weeks before dry hopping, then letting it bottle condition for roughly a month just to clear up and settle down. The goal is a good, summer IPA for when I get back from Siebel.

Have you brewed it yet? I'm wanting to do something similar, but not sure about using belgian yeast on it. Let us know how it turns out!

I made a Belgian IPA with that strain of yeast and it came out fantastic. The yeast adds orange spicy flavors that complimented the hops nicely. I have never used the hops you are using but I used Amarillo in my recipe and the hops and the yeast worked very well together.

I made this two days ago. Out of supply/necessity, the grain got changed to

3 lbs pilsner dme
3 lbs pilsner malt
1 lb belgian cara 8
0.25 lb belgian biscuit

I also used wlp530 because it was cheaper. Other than that, the hops stayed the same, hit all the numbers perfectly. Cooled to 60, pitched the yeast, and just am letting it go on its own now. The airlock is going crazy and the whole laundry room smells like oranges

Update. After I racked to secondary, the beer tasted a little bland. So I ended up dry hopping with 1.5 oz Nelson, 1.5 oz Smaragd, 0.5 oz Pacific Jade for 5 days. Its been in the bottle two weeks but already tastes great. Smooth bitterness, nice peachy, white wine flavor. Definitely a recipe to remake. Also attenuated to 1.011 so Im surprised that at 9.5% there is no fusel flavor. I think the month in primary before dry hopping had a major effect on minimizing those high alcohol flavors

Back