Ky jelly, what can't it do....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
So I just made a AHS promotional black ale kit last night and at 12 hours the thing blew my airlock on a 6.5gal bucket... Emergency blow off tube to the rescue!!! Not having made one of these before I was desperate to plug my bucket with something, and having the stopper with an 3 piece airlock already, and a bucket of starsan at hand, i figgured take some extra tubing I had laying around and just slide it on the inner stem of my airlock.... eisier said than done, I didnt realize the inner stem was a larger diameter than the stem that slides into the stopper. In a frantic search for something in the closet, I saw a box from a bachlorette party my SWMBO threw not to long ago. Long story made not so long, lubed the airlock up with KY, forced my blow off on, dunked in star san, and hooked it up.

Now thinking about it, KY is non toxic and water based, what about using it for all instances of hooking up tubing (running racking canes through rubber stopppers, sliding tubes on flare fittings, etc.)... Anyone think of any reasons not to?

Or you could just dunk the vinyl/rubber in hot water for a few seconds. I'd prefer to keep my f&ck-lube separate from by brewing...regardless whether it's toxic or not. :D

the_bird said:
Evan!'s just a little over-protective of his KY, ever since that incident that left him unable to sit down for a week... :D

Yeah...and the crazy part is that I wasn't the one with the worst of it...:D

It sounds like the KY was being used in the manner intended; putting an oversized stem into a small hole. :ban:

You're missing a bigger issue here: what was your SWMBO doing with a tube of Kentucky Jelly at a bachelorette party? :D

Can you use the menthol-like "cooling" sex lube in your wort chiller?

eviltwinofjoni said:
You're missing a bigger issue here: what was your SWMBO doing with a tube of Kentucky Jelly at a bachelorette party? :D
And where are the pictures?

Update: fermentation has really slowed so I have replaced blow off with an airlock. Unfortunately KY has worked too well and I cant get the hose off the stem! guess I have a permanent blow off setup, which means I need a new back up air lock, and since I am placing an order, another kit, maybe a hefe... a carboy for some apfelwine, a couple more kegs couldn't hurt, maybe 2 carboys and a few more kits...

I love this:)

Oh, Ill get pics when I get my allowance and can upgrade:)

eviltwinofjoni said:
It sounds like the KY was being used in the manner intended; putting an oversized stem into a small hole. :ban:

our marriage is like the army... stick to the "don't ask, dont tell" policy...:D

Back