Hard crust on top of my beer, don't think it's krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial chocolate stout about 2 weeks ago. Fermentation lasted about 6 days (checked with hydrometer), the krausen receded into the beer and then a couple of days later there were large brown bubbles forming on top. And now it looks like there is a hard brown crust on top of my brew, sorry I don't have any pictures of it.

Is this normal? I've never had this happen before, that large bubbles form after fermentation and then a crust forms on top after the krausen receded. Any thoughts?

What kind of chocolate did you use? I have made a chocolate cream stout with cocoa powder and had a odd brown funk on top of my beer for a few days after krausen drop.

My guess would be the cocoa powder.

And now it looks like there is a hard brown crust on top of my brew
Looks like and is are two diff. things. Are you just freaking out?

Look anything like this? Chocolate stout. It was delicious :)

stoutkrausen.jpg

-Joe

This sounds like what my Milk Stouts are doing right now. One batch had Northern Brewer Neo Brittania and the other Wyeast London Ale and they both had a brown crusty layer that looks like a sheet of leather on the top after a couple weeks. Hydrometer sample tasted fine.

Too me it looks like a bunch of the yeast floated to the top and flocced together.

Latest posts

Back